Artillery effect on Columns

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Grog
Reactions:

Artillery effect on Columns

Post by Grog »

Please can anyone inform me if there is any difference in the calculation of artillery effect on different formations, particularly Columns of Division?

Also, will a three deep line incur more casualties than one two deep?

And what for skirmishers too?

Are there any modifiable csv files? I have looked but cannot find any.

Thanks fellas.
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: Artillery effect on Columns

Post by Garnier »

None of that can be modded as far as I know.

As far as I know, solid shot does take into account the density of troops, regardless of formation. So if you have a ton of skirmish lines stacked on top of each other, solid shot hitting the mass will kill men from multiple regiments, with potentially unlimited kills depending on how stacked you are.

I don't believe any other ammo type does this as I've never seen it happen.

You could change all ammo types to be solid shot according to the game, so they all work the same. Losing some superficial realism to gain realism in the effects of artillery. But that's a tradeoff many people don't appreciate.
Last edited by Garnier on Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Thank you Garnier

If you are correct, then that is good enough for me. The density effect is the important factor here regardless of formation.

Although having a likewise modifiable factor for shell and shrapnel would be welcome, my main concern was for the effect of solid ball.

It is good news for those wanting to use historical formations with the Nap mod.

:)
SamSmith
Reactions:

Post by SamSmith »

Great point about artillery, Garnier. Effects-based gaming--sounds like Squad Leader to me.

Flaws in artillery, along with the lack of scouting ability and the tendency for attacking AI to only deploy with 160 yards of the enemy, hold this game back. I would love to see official changes or opened modding.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Sam,

I alleviated the "deploying within 160 yards" aspect by increasing the rifle-musket range to 190 yards. Forces the AI to deploy sooner. Also, gives infantry a chance to "snipe" at arty crews just within cannister range. Wirks pretty nicely on both counts.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

I would love to see official changes or opened modding.
It sounds like there's a plan to open the munitions.csv file for MP modding. I haven't tried yet but I believe you could take solid shot, and make other ammo types use its behavior, with changes to its effectiveness in counter-battery or as a morale-hitter and its effective range, as well as graphics and sounds perhaps. So we could get both the effects and superficial realism. :)
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign