Stannard on the Flank

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Thomas J Jackson
Reactions:

Re:Stannard on the Flank

Post by Thomas J Jackson »

An old topic so forgive me for if the problem of this scenario has been overtaken by events.
Just completed it today with a MV score of 6529.
4th time of trying various tactics.
Today I kept the objective throughout the 40mins with one regiment in place under command and 2 regiments
held back in their original positions on the left flank also under direct command.
When the rebels attacked as seems to be the case each time played, they sweep down towards the clump of trees. The objective holding regiment I pivoted in place as the rebs swept by to take them with flanking fire if they came too close.
With around 12-14mins to the end of the scenario the rebels decided to tackle my holding regiment. I then moved one of my other regiments forward to provide a solid line between my holding regiment (now facing right angle to the main confederate starting position) and the rest of the union line. A fire fight ensued
with my 2 regiments plus various other union regiments and some 4 rebel units. When the opportunity arose I brought my 3rd regiment at a rush around my holding regiment and took the rebels in the flank,charged and routed 2 rebels units and killed 2 reb commanders. My losses were circa 150 to the rebs circa 250, the key really was just to hold the objective rather than as I had done previously engage in toe to toe combat.
Now back to trying to win the Round Tops scenario which is really proving challenging to say the least.