Corp Combat tutorial, how?

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Robert E Lee
Reactions:

Corp Combat tutorial, how?

Post by Robert E Lee »

I need some advise on how to save my Corp. I am playing the Corp tutorial on the Scourge of War Gettysburg demo.
Here is the situation, I ordered my 1st Division to deploy maybe 500 yards east of the wooden bridge due north of Gettysburg and instead, they deployed 1/2 of a mile east of where I ordered them to go. The AI made them South West for some odd reason even though the Confederates were coming from the north. Well, the Confederates decided to attack my 1st Division from the North East, the entire division had to about face (which took forever because most of the regiments were exhausted from the march) in order to defend itself. I was taking severe casualties, so I sent Brigadier General Albion Paris Howe's Division along with Newton's to aid the 1st Division. That went well until the Confederates attacked from the west. The divisions were by then a disorganized mob rather then a well positioned Corp. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Robert E Lee on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: Corp Combat tutorial, how?

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

Congratulations, you have just had your first taste of the AI's human-like behavior. The AI commanders tend to act in accordance to their attributes. It is the best feature of the game IMHO. Howe is an experienced defensive commander. He may have thought that the ground he chose was a better defensive location than the one you had in mind. What stance did you give him, (defend, attack, etc)? If you didn't give him one, then he was acting as he saw fit. The stance you give him filters down to his brigade commanders. You also have to check the attributes of those commanders. They tend to be much more aggressive and may have thought that the ground they moved to was a better for stepping off for an attack. The moral here is know your commanders, their strengths and weaknesses. Plan your strategy with these in mind and give them the necessary direction. Good luck.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Robert E Lee
Reactions:

Post by Robert E Lee »

Thanks, I am somewhat new to Scourge of War Gettysburg but am a seasoned and effective commander in Take Command 2nd Manassas. I guess the reason why Brigadier General Albion Paris Howe had his division face south west might be because I placed him so close to the enemy (I realized this later in the fight, to late to fix the error.) I am not familiar with the Army of the Potomac, I am used to playing as the Confederate forces.

Robert E Lee
Cdr- Army of Northern Virginia.
Last edited by Robert E Lee on Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I wanted to add which army I am familiar with.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

To find the attributes of your sub-commanders, just select one and press the chain of command button. The screen that pops up will give you that information.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Robert E Lee
Reactions:

Post by Robert E Lee »

I already do that. and put my strongest subordinates in the front along with my artillery brigade.

With All Due Respect,
Robert E Lee.