MeleeMod for the Infantry Square Formation

Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Re: MeleeMod for the Infantry Square Formation

Post by Jack ONeill »

D,

Unfortunately no. Just us.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Destraex

Are you interested in playing this game MP?

It is anticipated with the next patch (ETA not yet announced) that certain file type changes (which are at present prohibited for MP play) will be 'unblocked'.

Within the ACW theatre, the MP community is already very lively and steadily growing. There more than a few of us eager to play and develop Nap MP.

Could you tell us what aspects of this game attract you?

For me its the immersion and realism of commanding at ground level. Sending or receiving orders by courier and not knowing the complete picture, all of the time. Standing on a small hill, surveying through your telescope the enemy to front, giving orders to your subordinates and then watching your columns march forward.

All this multiplied when you are working in a team of 7-8 with proper chain of command and Free Text Courier messaging.

Forgive my enthusiasm but, given the MP 'go ahead', I will continue to harp on and support this game until we have 20+ guys regularly playing large Nap battles and campaigns on authentic terrain. We have some very talented modders and although the engine is not perfect for this period, given time, I have no doubt it will do the job nicely.

I wish I had more spare time myself, but for now I will remain a small cog and help in any way I can.

Rant over :P
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Hey Presto, it works!!

Sorry fellas but it was a 'school boy error' on my part. I had edited the drills for the RtW mod but had not considered that RebBugler's Napoleonic Toolbar had drills in it also, which was lower down my mod list.

:)
Last edited by Grog on Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

G,

LOL! Yes, that happened to me when my skirmishers mod wasen't working. It was being overridden by Zeke's 1800s Mod Drills.csv.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Have run numerous tests on square combat numbers and have settled on -300. Cavalry has a very hard time breaking the square and takes a decent number of casualties. The square also takes some casualties, which is as it should be. There is about a 1 in 10 chance the square will bolt and run around abit, trying to retreat, but I can live with that. Try it out and see. No, I still can't figure out how to make the damn thing stop counter-charging and just hold still.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

No, I still can't figure out how to make the damn thing stop counter-charging and just hold still.
Have you tried all of the following three columns in the drills file?

Column H - KeepForm

Column Q - Can'tMove

Column R - Can'tCharge

I don't have the mod installed at the moment, so I can't test any of the above.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Hello Davinci

Mod settings:

H=0 (keep this formation)

Q=1 (meaning formation Can't Move)

R=1 (meaning formation Can't Charge)

I expect these have been tested but perhaps 'thinking outside the box' (as RebB did with meleemod & firemod) using a different value (perhaps) might be worth a try. Not got time myself, right now.

I can actually live with the squares charging. When they are TC'd they soon reform on the spot. I expect historically, there would have been some response from men within square and free sides when one side is in melee.

Perhaps not? but with squares modded so strong in melee, cav charges against formed square should be quite rare. In MP, anyway, which is my main interest.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

As I already stated:
Also, I have 1 in columns H, Q, and R...keep form, can't move and can't charge.
Just 1 or 0 work with these...on or off.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

In my testing it appears hard coded that any formation will break up once contacted by melee. I remember for example that squares would stay put if cahrged at but when the unit is contacted all the sprites went off and paired up for the fight.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

All,

Have run thru all of the combinations listed above. Squares still move to contact when charged. As Grog said, as long as they reform after melee, I can live with that. Yes, in MP charging squares will be a tough call. The real thing to remember is to TC each one, otherwise they WILL go swanning off, (probably to Starbucks for a latte and a scone, like the aforementioned un-TC'd Battery Commanders - :laugh: ).

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"