How do I win the Division tutorial?

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Richard
Reactions:

How do I win the Division tutorial?

Post by Richard »

Apologies if this question has been asked/answered elsewhere - I did a prior search but didn't find anything, at least in the first page or two of results. As there are similar tutorial questions, perhaps there ought to be a FAQ section or the like.

Anyway, I have tried this tutorial three times now and got thrashed on each occasion. The fundamental problem I believe is that the 'starred' objective is north of the road whereas I believe it should be south of it, to prevent the bluebellies from even getting close to that objective. So I am really puzzled by that. There is also the point that the rebel position does not seem to be good from a defensive point of view and the Union forces tend to be aggressive.

I tried these approaches:

1. Held my ground, with the initial dispositions - didn't last long
  2. Advanced to defensive positions - more aggressive and better, but still lost
  3. Retreated to the nominal objective - result as bad as (1)
In general I did not issue individual orders to my brigade commanders or engage in micro-management, though in (3) I did pull the battery back to a more protected position. Only problem there is that the guns ended up in a wood that I did not know about and were out-flanked by some Union troops.

So, what is the best policy, in your experience?

Thanks ...

Richard
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Re: How do I win the Division tutorial?

Post by Jack ONeill »

R,

Okay, here goes -

1) What difficulty setting are you playing? That can make a big difference.

2) You are up against John Gibbon and his 2nd. Corps Division. This guy is/was no slouch and his lads are pretty damn good.

3) Always, always, always TC your battery commander(s). That way you know where he is and he hasen't swanned off to Starbucks or somewhere for coffee and a scone. Drag his ass back behind the lines OR your right flank and bring up infantry support for them. Keep them on the edge of the woods. This will give sort-of enfilading fire on the damn Yankees as they advance past the battery.

4) Assuming you are playing in "Game" mode, (not HITS), YOU must ride your horses to death and be everywhere at once, exhorting your men with deeds of lunatic bravery. Seriously, your presence give a bonus to wavering troops.

5) You have the advantage of "the central position." The Yankees must move farther to get around you. You have a shorter distance to cover to get to the same place. As I recall, you have three brigades of reasonable troops. Force the enemy to flank you. They will generally move to your left thru the woods there. Move your center brigade forward to the fence line and hold it to the last. Your right hand brigade can cover the woods by the battery and I have swung them forward to give flanking fire to the advancing Yankees on occasion.

6) This is where the battle really starts - your left hand brigade must hold off the flanking Yankees on your left. You brigade is decent so they will fight well for awhile. Use the fence, TC each regiment if you have to and BE THERE WITH THEM. Unlike our current Yankee Administration, REAL Commanders don't lead from behind.

7) This game will kick your ass, so pay attention. The game designers have done a brilliant job with this AI and it DOES learn from our mistakes. (I am convinced of that). They have also designed in several different variations for each scenario and tutorial. It is up to YOU to make the difference.

8) Good Luck!

Jack "always out in front" O'Neill :laugh: B)

9) R - remember, this is a COMBAT SIMULATION, rather than just a game. As the Lbrarian Lazerus of the Imperial Fists once said, "Real heroes get stuck in." You must get stuck in sometimes to win.
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Jack "calls Norb's AI Hal 9000" ONeill
Last edited by KG_Soldier on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

LOL! Indeed...

Jack B)

'course, now I've got to go and play the damn thing again, just because... :laugh:
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Molon Labe"
Richard
Reactions:

Post by Richard »

Thanks very much Jack - only the tutorial instructions advise the player to let the brigade commanders "do their own thing", to a large extent, which is why I did not run around much.

So I will have a go at rallying my troops next time. I haven't tried TC (as such) yet either - just went to the battery and ordered them elsewhere. Is that the same thing?
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Also try moving the artillery to the center of your line and just a bit back from the infantry line along the fence. Shift the infantry brigades using the 'move by * flank' command to make room. This position makes any attack near the middle of the line very expensive.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

R,

Your Brigade commanders are very good. HOWEVER, they are Rebs, and as such tend to be aggressive. This is primarily a holding action. Getting them to stay put requires a firm hand - yours. :evil:

No, just ordering them to do something is not the same. You must click the TC button and move him/them sort-of personally. Keep an I on the guns themselves to make sure they actually go where you want them and not stop and open fire. (Bloody gunners - HA!)

Jim's right - probably better to move them back behind the lines. I'm a bit, (???), aggressive with my gunners. I am from the General Griffin school of command - put the gunners on the line. I lose guns but rack up huge points from cannister.

Get in there!

Jack B)

Note - played this last night, again. Gibbon attacked with his left flank refused, massing a fair amount of his infantry towards my left, his right, and moving thru the woods. I, as Early, took personal command, and conducted a tough fighting withdrawl, moving back each regiment from fence to fence, unitl the damn yankees gave up. Glorious....
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Molon Labe"
Richard
Reactions:

Post by Richard »

Hooray! A minor victory yesterday - 241 points. All due to moving my guns early to the centre I believe, though they were obscured and often had to move around. I also gave individual '7' orders to each battalion.

I tried using TC with the guns at one point but I can't see that it made much difference.

Anyway, I am mightily relieved to have won! Now on to the Corps conflict.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Well done!

Good Luck on the Corps fight.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"