Obtaining height field data for non US battlefields

Garnier
Reactions:

Re: Obtaining height field data for non US battlefields

Post by Garnier »

We have a small map modding team, anyone else that wants to join is welcome to contact us. Because the tool is proprietary right now and it's not very user friendly to do a general release.
http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/40-dis ... maps#52511

Meanwhile, the map making process is almost identical to that of TC2M, so if you have that game, you could make a map for that (there is a ton of information on the forum there). Also, there's an extractor that can open the current map files so you can see everything that's in them. The only thing you need the proprietary map making tool for is to compile the final map file, and it's needed for adding buildings to a map. Once you know the format of the other files you can make an almost complete map and until you have access to the tool I or someone else with the tool can compile it for you.

I've attached the libedit program that can extract all of the map files from the lsl file.
The attachment Libedit.zip is no longer available
Attachments
Libedit.zip
(52.45 KiB) Downloaded 3 times
Last edited by Garnier on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Rello
Reactions:

Post by Rello »

Thanx Garnier.
I've been busy at work for end of year deadline, now I will start looking into files.
What program do you use for building creation?
Do you think next engine of NS game will use same map structure? For what I read SOW engine is at the final stage of development and Norb has already started working on a new engine.
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

I've never made buildings, I imagine they're just 3d models with textures -- but I don't know what format they're in.

No idea if next version of the engine will use the same map format. I hope it will be mostly the same since the current one is really good. Either way, even if the game were released a year from now it might be another three or four years before map-making was opened. I don't hold my breath for something that's not a certainty.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Thanx Garnier.
I've been busy at work for end of year deadline, now I will start looking into files.
What program do you use for building creation?
Do you think next engine of NS game will use same map structure? For what I read SOW engine is at the final stage of development and Norb has already started working on a new engine.
PM Norb if your interested in modding maps for SOW. Restrictions do apply, but non disclosure tools could be made available if you agree to terms. Don't know if we have any openings at present, but it won't hurt to ask.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...