I want to try but...

kg_sspoom
Reactions:

I want to try but...

Post by kg_sspoom »

I want to try Napoleonic battles but...
I dont want to wade through all these posts =)
What do I need to start and where do I go with the basics.
If this is layed out somewhere call me silly and point me to it =)
Thanks
Last edited by kg_sspoom on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Re: I want to try but...

Post by Jack ONeill »

KG,

First, download the "Road to Wagram" mod and install it. It contains all you need to get started. Next, make sure you have the uniforms set to "Best" in Options. Probably should use the big Gettysburg map for the larger battles.

There are 2 sprite ratios in use - Stock Zero (or 1 to 4) and 8 (1 to 8). The SR4 will have you commanding LOTS of troops, mostly in half-Battalions, (because they were really big.) Play with the basics for awhile then ask some more questions.

Notes - There is a LOT of Cavalry, mostly on the Austrian side. The Bavarians, (French Allies), have some, too. It can be VERY effective. You do not have to form square to defend against it, but it looks cool. The French have none. Bummer. There is NOTHING as cool as a well-timed Cavalry charge.

There is a LOT of Artillery on both sides and it can also be very effective, especially since musket ranges are so short. Watch out for that.

Skirmishers are problematic.

Now, get stuck in!

Jack "...to the sound of the guns!" O'Neill
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

Go to http://www.justallinone.com/index.php?o ... ry&catid=3

Get all the mods, nicely laid out and up to date, without all the wading. A wonderful time-saver.

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Hi, there's a sticky at the top pf this sub forum "Road to Wagram" tells you all you need to know to get going. Its dead easy, but if you get stuck just post and someone will help :).