Tips on Panoramic Screenshots?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
SamSmith
Reactions:

Tips on Panoramic Screenshots?

Post by SamSmith »

Hi all--

Does anybody have any tips on how to make panoramic screenshots? Or, additionally, record sessions in progress? Thanks in advance!

Sam
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Re: Tips on Panoramic Screenshots?

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Hi all--

Does anybody have any tips on how to make panoramic screenshots? Or, additionally, record sessions in progress? Thanks in advance!

Sam
I did one for SOW about 2 years ago for quicktime. If you are really serious about doing something like this, it is always best to get the best software available.

Now the trick is that keeping the screenshots basically steady or straight in-line with very little movement up or down. The more screenshots taken better the outcome.

For example, take you first screenshot, pan to the right or left one frame only, take another screenshot, pan again in the same direction, take another screenshot... all the while you are keeping the camera steady (very little up or down movement).

Also to do this, lower your movement settings in the options menu. Bring them down to the lowest so you don't over pan.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

For video capture I use FRAPS, which I eventually purchased for about £25 ($40 ish).

The Registered copy allows you to 'video' a whole battle and the program will save it in manageable files of 5mins or whatever settings you wish.

These files can then be edited in a 'movie maker' program. I use Movie Maker for Windows7 which used to be in the Professional package but is now a seperate free download.

Editing is quite easy but can take some time in slower machines. Once edited it will need to be converted into a format for viewing. Movie maker can make high definition Vids.

You can upload HD movies to YouTube for free, as long as you register and are prepared to enter your mobile phone number for the security process. I have not had any issues with this method.

I expect there are other programs which are more suitable/cheaper but it works ok for me. You could try FRAPS free download for the time being, which will let you capture shorter clips and will have the FRAPS watermark displayed.

Good luck
Last edited by Grog on Wed Jan 30, 2013 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keat
Reactions:

Post by Keat »

I'd like to second what Grog said, FRAPS is the way to go for capturing ingame video (the video in my signature below is captured with FRAPS)

If at all possible you should try to get a hold of Sony Vegas or some other "quality" type of editing program, these can be really expensive though so I guess it all depends on how much time and money you are ready to invest. Movie Maker works just fine but you get alot more options with transitions, effects and the like with Sony Vegas or CS6.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

I think he is talking about taking screesnhots, and turning them into a panoramic view, not creating a live video recording. Your definitely right though, fraps is well worth the money, and the best way too create live recordings.

Here are the files you will need. I have used these, and they do work well, and their free which makes it even better.

* AutoStich - To create the flat 2D Picture - http://www.photo-freeware.net/autostitch.php
* Pano2QTVR - To create the 3D Image - http://gardengnomesoftware.com/pano2qtvr_download.php
* Quicktime - To View the results - http://t.dgm-au.com/c/41525/31316/1152? ... nerId=1002

okay, to make something really cool, start a game, and wait until you have a real HOT kick ass battle happening (download, and use the blood splatter mod by Rebbugler), then press the "U" key to get rid of the hud, and then press "P" for pause. This will pause everything that is happening in real time. Then scout out your location, get your view point setup, then do what I suggested in my first reply.

Believe me, if done right, you will have one incredible panoramic view of a hellish battle in action, all frozen in time.

NOTE: Now, if that is not what you want to do, but wish to just take a series of photo's, and stitch them together to create a 360 photo, then visit this site here for the software: http://www.ptgui.com/
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Okay here is a small kick arse update that I know a few of you may appreciate. If you wish to really create a masterpiece download a piece of software called "FotoSketcher".

Link: http://www.fotosketcher.com/

I know a few will say to download something for Adobe, or Paint.net which means you need to download the main program, then download plugins, and they don't work all that well, and how do I know because I've used them, but if you want to try them out by all means go ahead, it's all about what you want, not what I want. I am only telling you these things so you can have as much information to go on.

Fotosketcher is one small program, self contained, and works very well, so fuss, no muss, and no need for plugins of any kind.

Now what I mentioned in my previous post on how to capture some really kick ass action, lets step this up another notch, and create a FULL 360 panoramic view of a full battle painting...

Special NOTE: When you take a screenshot in SOWgb, it will save it as a .BMP which has to be converted over to .JPG. Now if you do own Fraps, you can have Fraps take your screenshots for you, and save them as .JPG, .PNG, .BMP, and other formats as well which really would be better since you do not have to convert the standard SOW's .BMP files into .JPG, but that is up to you to decide.

But if you do not want to use fraps, then visit this website to batch convert any pic format to another: http://www.irfanview.com/

First do what I mentioned in my earlier post concerning taking screenshots, then convert those .BMP files into .JPG format (reason is, all the programs I have listed work only with .jpg, they could work with .png, not too sure)

First download the Fotosketcher I spoke of, install it (as you should). Then start your game of SOW, take all of the screenshots you want.

Now, if they are not converted to .jpg yet, do so.

Now here is the meat, and potatoes of making a real work of art. You have to now start fotosketcher, and convert each blessed .jpg into a painting (you decided what looks best).

Once that is done (tired aren't you? No problem, it's almost done, then you can sleep), use the software that I posted in my previous reply, and stitch those new paintings into a full 360 panoramic view. You now have a full 360 painting that you can view, and share at any time.

Sound hard? It isn't really.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

A great idea to create panos from screenshots! I'm surprised it didn't occur to me earlier since I make them all the time in my photography hobby.

Here's a "team picture" pano of Vincent's brigade on the west face of Little Round Top just before the big fight. This was made from 3 semi-overlapping screenshots, stitched together using Adobe Photoshop & Lightroom. In theory, you can put together as many shots as you'd like and even create 360 degree cycloramas, if your software supports it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wd9ukl2vwh284 ... %20LRT.jpg

A few tips in making panoramas:
-Before snapping your screenshots, hit "u" to remove the button rock display in the lower screen. It will only confuse the stitching software;
-Don't edit or crop the images prior to stitching. Inconsistencies between the images make it harder for the software. You can, however, do anything you'd like after the pano is created;
-(at least in real photography) It's best to keep the camera view level to the horizon to minimize distortion. So, I suspect a ground-level view in game might likewise deliver better results;
-overlap your images at least 20% (the software needs the duplicate data to know how the image should be aligned)
-It's probably best to first save the separate images as jpegs -- bmp's are more cumbersome and less compatible
-If you're attempting to show a battle scene, move quickly to capture all component screen shots and, if possible, plan your areas of overlap where there will be minimal game movement (e.g., wooded areas, few troops, etc.)
Last edited by exp101 on Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

That's really nice, exp101/'Palmer'

The NSD have GOT to have a use for these type of images..?

Thanks for the tips.
SamSmith
Reactions:

Post by SamSmith »

Wow! Thank you so much for the great advice. This will definitely meet my needs. I'm hoping to make some panoramic views of Gettysburg and Chancellorsville to present precise moments in time from the anniversaries.