Does anyone know of a GREAT World War 2 Flight Sim that is not IL2?

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Re: Does anyone know of a GREAT World War 2 Flight Sim that is not IL2?

Post by Michael Slaunwhite »

Mike/All,

Do not buy Cliffs of Dover. It blows big time. Again, wildly over-hyped. The lads from IL2 did not do a great job on this one. I was really looking forward to this. (I fly a BF-109E or 109G-2 in IL2). Wanted to fly against the RAF in a better game. (Sorry guys, but my great uncle on my mothers side was Adolf Galland, one of Germany's highest scoring Aces. BTW, I am NOT him. I get shot down regularly.) If you check the gamesite forums you'll get the drift about it. A heavily upgraded IL2 is STILL the better game.

Jack B)
I'm with you about IL2. Yeah we all have to be careful of the hype, unfortunately I got caught up in it earlier this month, and I regretted it.

Back long ago (new to IL2) I was trying to create a full WW1 campaign which worked very well. The unfortunate thing was that there were very, very few Aeroplanes from WW1 in the main game package. I gave up on it because of the lack of WW1 plane textures, and models out there to install. It would have been a very cool thing to have taken the IL2 engine, and turn it into a WW1 sim.

Pretty sad to see that IL2 devs didn't even have WW1 on their radar... Now that would have been a cool sim.

Interesting to read that "my great uncle on my mothers side was Adolf Galland, one of Germany's highest scoring Aces" he is your great uncle.

Cheers.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Damn, I was going to post this here but changed my mind.

Check out this post I made just seconds ago. http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/other- ... uded#55736
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

B,

Good to hear CoD is playable. Sure took them long enough. Think I'll stick to IL2 for now though.

Mike,

Yes, the bugs were incredible. Every time someone turned around there was another one. May have to check into BoB2 though. Could be cool.

Jack B)
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Tacloban
Reactions:

Post by Tacloban »

Jack,

What a fascinating connection to history! I must ask if the legend is true; that when asked (by Georing?) what he needed to beat the British in the air, his response was "Spitfires."

Not a full hijacking since it is along the lines of flight sims, sort of.
Blaugrana
Reactions:

Post by Blaugrana »

As far as BOBII, I like it. The graphics are a bit dated, but I'm not the type that relies on graphics alone for good gameplay. I did buy it after reading up on it, and it runs fine on my system. I just have to muck around a bit to see what I can do with it. So far it's looks pretty cool. I shall get back to you on it, and thank you Blaugrana for the pointing me too it. :)

Cheerio Matey!
I'm glad you like it. Have you patched it up to the most recent version? Released in January, I think. I am keen to get back into it as soon as I can face the re-learning curve...

Jeff
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Mike,

Am out hunting for the Demo for BOB1 or BOB2. Have run into something unexpected - there are several BoB games out there. Which manufacturer/Producer/Game Company are you talking about? Want to get the RIGHT one the first time. (BTW, on the RARE occasion I fly against the Germans, I fly a Hurricane. Spitfires are a bit twitchy for me. I do like to be able to out-turn the BF-109 though, in the Hurry.) Thanks.

Jack B)

"Molon Labe"
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Mike,

Am out hunting for the Demo for BOB1 or BOB2. Have run into something unexpected - there are several BoB games out there. Which manufacturer/Producer/Game Company are you talking about? Want to get the RIGHT one the first time. (BTW, on the RARE occasion I fly against the Germans, I fly a Hurricane. Spitfires are a bit twitchy for me. I do like to be able to out-turn the BF-109 though, in the Hurry.) Thanks.

Jack B)
Okay I'll be right back.

Okay, very odd how they are handling this. If you live in North America you can get a copy from Matrix Games http://www.matrixgames.com/products/353 ... of.Victory

From Here: http://www.a2asimulations.com/bob/

Hmmm, no demo's.
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

Mike,

Found the Demo for BoB1. Figured there wouldn't be one for BoB2. Will get this baby installed and find out.

Jack B)

Later that same day - Loaded and played. Thought so. I've seen and tried this beastie before. Not impressed. I really think IL2 was/is the better game.
Last edited by Jack ONeill on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Molon Labe"
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Mike,

Found the Demo for BoB1. Figured there wouldn't be one for BoB2. Will get this baby installed and find out.

Jack B)

Later that same day - Loaded and played. Thought so. I've seen and tried this beastie before. Not impressed. I really think IL2 was/is the better game.
Hi Jack.

I have been messing with BOBII, and I have it patched to the latest version, and all I'm getting now are crashes. I have to figure this out (I'm sure that it has something to do with my resolution), and I'll get back too you.

Cheers.
Michael Slaunwhite
Reactions:

Hey.

Jack, you might find this interesting. It's a Mission generator for IL2:1946 DBW. It's called "NACHTJAGD MISSION GENERATOR v3.1"

Link: http://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/t ... 884.0.html

OH, I forgot something else. here is a link to something that also might interest you as well.

http://www.lowengrin.com/news.php

These are the guys who create these Dynamic Campaign Generators for games such as IL2, and so on. To bad something like this can't be made for the next gen SOW.

:)
Last edited by Michael Slaunwhite on Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.