CV #17 Saved by the Bell

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
BostonatLast
Reactions:

CV #17 Saved by the Bell

Post by BostonatLast »

My first victory in SOW Chancellorsville. I applied the custom option with couriers set to Brigade level and had no problems communicating with subordinates. The lead brigade deployed in movement to contact with skirmishers and encounter the enemy immediately. Brought up my other brigade (only two in this scenario with one still at Fredericksburg)and after a brief fight drove them off. Moved down to occupy the ground in front of Salem Church with both brigades and arty and ran right into McLaws' Division. I was desperately trying to pull everyone back to a more compact position around the church (as we were being flanked on both sides) when the game ended in a victory.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: CV #17 Saved by the Bell

Post by RebBugler »

Welcome! Glad you're enjoying the game. :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Nice work, sounds like you've got a good strategy for Victory. That is exactly how it played out historically; once the rest of McLaws division came up, old Uncle John Sedgwick lost his nerve and went on the defensive.

Now to achieve Major Victory it will take a little more aggressiveness against those Rebs... :evil:
BostonatLast
Reactions:

Post by BostonatLast »

Thank you. It is a fantastic game. I cut my ACW teeth on Avalon Hill's Board Game, Gettysburg, and I played Talonsoft's version and some of Sid Meir's Gettysburg (only the demo). I have been away from gaming for awhile but I came across SOW and read some reviews which were all good. I bought Chancellorsville because I was unfamiliar with the battle as simulation. The HITS system is very realistic once you get used to the limited visibility. I look forward to picking up on a multiplayer session once I get seasoned a bit. Hats off to the design team who built this system.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

The HITS system is very realistic once you get used to the limited visibility. I look forward to picking up on a multiplayer session once I get seasoned a bit. Hats off to the design team who built this system.
Best part of the game in my opinion :)

Playing scenarios with HITS, my HATS off to you sir!
Last edited by con20or on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leffe7
Reactions:

Post by Leffe7 »

I also prefer playing in HITS mode. It's much more immersive and you really get to see all the terrain details in 3D.