tutorial three deteriorating results

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
gwgardner
Reactions:

tutorial three deteriorating results

Post by gwgardner »

Hmmh, I did tutorial three (artillery) first time pretty much leaving control to the AI, and never repositioned the battery. I got a score of 51.

So I read a couple of threads here, got some tips, and tried 'taking command' and targeting specific enemy units, trying to use the proper ammunition type at a given range. My score went to -11. Then my latest try, the Vermont infantry kept advancing on me, I kept trying to target them with canister - they lost a lot, but kept coming and eventually overran my position. -71 score.

So would I be better off pretty much leaving targeting to the AI?

I noted that for some guns, after I TCd them, selected a specific target - they pretty much ignored my selection.
Ephrum
Reactions:

Re: tutorial three deteriorating results

Post by Ephrum »

I had similar experiences the first few times I played this one.

Try "targeting" with the battery commander's toolbar, and the whole battery will focus on the target. Don't worry about TCing the individual guns, or the ammo the guns use, leave that to the gun's AI.

My best score on the art'y tutorial happened when I posted the battery where the icon indicates. From that point I targeted only the enemy's art'y, a 6-gun battery, and routed three of the guns by game's end. Scored a little over 200 points. (I focused my entire battery on one enemy gun at a time.)

Hope this is helpful. However, I should add that I'm still learning this game, and there may be others here on the forum who can give you a better insight.

Happy hunting! B)
OHIO UNIVERSITY
gwgardner
Reactions:

Post by gwgardner »

Thanks. Ok, I'll try that with the commander targeting.

My highest score, after about 6 tries, is 120. But I lost two guns when the 13th Vermont got in close.

I'm not seeing the artillery 'decals' unless they are the puffs of smoke.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

You should periodically move your guns to keep the enemy infantry from getting too close. You can also sometimes relocate to a place where if the enemy infantry comes towards you they will get entangled with friendly infantry.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
gwgardner
Reactions:

Post by gwgardner »

Thanks. I'm guess 'too close' is anywhere under about 200 yards?

I tried recoil retreat. Worked for some guns, others lagged. And the battery ended up limbered, facing the opposite way. I'll try that again to see if that's actually the way it works.