baby steps modding a scenario

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
gwgardner
Reactions:

baby steps modding a scenario

Post by gwgardner »

Having played GBB01, I wanted to try it from the Confederate side. So the only change I made was to make Heth the player commander.

It worked ok, without me altering any scripting. The rebs advanced on McPherson's Ridge, the Union cavalry retreated behind the ridge, staying mounted. Union artillery stayed in position.

One thing that seemed problematic, and I figure it's my failure to change the scripting, was that as Heth's forces obtained the ridge, some of the Union artiller simply stayed put. Oddly enough, no matter how long I allowed the Confederates to attack that artillery, they were invincible. When I ordered a melee, the artillery simply slipped through the line - still no damage.

Am I right that proper scripting would fix that? Or is that a generic problem in capturing/destroying batteries?
Don
Reactions:

Re: baby steps modding a scenario

Post by Don »

I've encountered that problem often, especially when your infantry is very close to their artillery. It's unrealistic & quite frustrating.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

no matter how long I allowed the Confederates to attack that artillery, they were invincible
Never figured out how to make a unit invincible, and I've not seen that behavior. If you can get a save and attach it...thanks for the report.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
gwgardner
Reactions:

Post by gwgardner »

Here is a save file. In order to show the invincible artillery, advance the 2nd or 42nd Mississippi infantry to the artillery.

Well, I don't think the attachment worked. I'll try again. If it doesn't come through, please advise. I'm attempting to attach a zip file.
Last edited by gwgardner on Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: retrying attachment
35th Georgia
Reactions:

Post by 35th Georgia »

Another baby step question I have is how to change it to where when you capture artillery it's yours.
"To walk into to almost certain death is insane,to do it with honor is heroic."
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Well, I don't think the attachment worked. I'll try again. If it doesn't come through, please advise. I'm attempting to attach a zip file.
You have to use Internet Explorer when attaching a file, Firefox will not work!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Another baby step question I have is how to change it to where when you capture artillery it's yours.
It depends on how the OOB is structured, arty must be attached to your division in order to capture guns, otherwise, they will surrender.
gwgardner
Reactions:

Post by gwgardner »

third attempt to attach save file
The attachment invincibleartillery.zip is no longer available
Attachments
invincibleartillery.zip
(165.96 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
gwgardner
Reactions:

Post by gwgardner »

Thanks for the tip, DaVinci. RedBugler, if you look at that save, please advise us on why the artillery is not captured/destroyed.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Played the save and found no anomalies, arty was picked off and then routed. Also restarted it and captured both guns. Just a matter of learning how to deal with arty, and learning how to play the game. To capture arty you must move in fast and TC or attackmarch your unit, I prefer attackmarch...then charge. You've got to catch them before they have time to limber and retreat.