Multiplayer games for beginners or "advanced" beginners?

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
Archer
Reactions:

Multiplayer games for beginners or "advanced" beginners?

Post by Archer »

Does anybody know if there are any MP games where the beginner (or "advanced" beginner, as I like to call myself) can play? Or a way to find MP players of the same ability and gaming seriousness? Does Matrix have any MP matching service?

I have owned and played SOW (as well as TC and TC2) for years and have enjoyed playing against the AI, but like most, I find human opponents much more enjoyable as long as everyone is playing for fun and everyone understands that players new to the MP world will make mistakes.

I'm already aware of the MP group that plays at the SOWGB Teamspeak Server. I played with that group last night and played with them a lot a year and a half ago but eventually quit due to too many bad gaming experiences. Most players there are cordial and helpful, especially those that helped set up my divisions and making sure my computer was set up properly to play. But during the battle a few others can be very rude, impatient with new players, "bossy" (I get this from the wife and don't need it when I'm enjoying a game! LOL), curse at you(ARCHER, GET YOUR GODDAMN UNITS ON THE ROAD)....I had to turn my speakers off due to children in the house... and try non-stop to control your regiments by micromanaging your play, which isn't fun. I understand that in MP games there's an overall battle plan that needs to be followed, but when multiple teammates are giving you contradictory orders at times and then start cursing...on your first night back, it's time to move on...

Anyway, didn't mean to get into that level of detail about my bad experiences, I really was just wanting to know if there are any other MP groups that are more casual and would be a better fit for beginners or "advanced" beginners.

thanks for any help!
Archer
Last edited by Archer on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exp101
Reactions:

Re: Multiplayer games for beginners or "advanced" beginners?

Post by exp101 »

Sorry for your bad experience last night, Archer. There are certainly times when the intensity levels in some of the games ratchet up to the point where some forget themselves & lose their cool. And while it's impossible to guarantee it won't happen again, I would say that most games and players feature good sportsmanship. So please give it another go!

One alternative might be to seek out smaller games with players you know and are comfortable with (which is probably most). Then, as skills and experience grow, take on the bigger games. Just my opinion, but there is nothing quite as enjoyable as a huge MP battle!
Hope to see you again soon!

Ron/W.J. Palmer
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

First, welcome to the forum.

There are other groups. The Kriegspiel group plays in a more historic fashion, from the saddle, using couriers. They don't have the winning is everything mentality that infests many of today's MP games. You can find them here KriegSpiel Forum
Last edited by Marching Thru Georgia on Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Archer, the mute button is your friend.

GCM games are highly competitive, and I like that.

But some players, too many in my opinion, are too concerned with the GCM ranking system and give too many orders to other players during the battles.

If someone is bugging you, mute them.

I wasn't in the game you played but I see who was.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

Hi Archer

I'd like to echo MGT's suggestion that the Kriegsspiel group may be for you. The general ethos of the group is much less competitive than some groups, and all our games are played in a good & friendly spirit. We aim to provide plenty of support for new players, and you won't be bombarded with orders from several players, as we play with a clear chain of command. So you will only have one boss.

There are a couple of possible downsides I should mention though. One is that we do not play as frequently as say the GCM group. The other is that we play HITS exclusively, because we feel it's more historical. We also think it's more fun! So you may actually find that is an upside :)

Do follow MGT's link and check in on the Kriegsspiel forum. You'll be very welcome to join us next time we run a game.

Martin
Jonah
Reactions:

Post by Jonah »

Archer from where i was in the middle of the line defending like mad and your arrival on the confederate left was timely and could have won you the day.

Sadly for you certain individuals can't keep control of their emotions.

I am sorry you had to witness that and would like to apologize for the unwanted instruction but i might suggest that you get a good set of headphones this way your kids won't have to experience such emotions.
35th Georgia
Reactions:

Post by 35th Georgia »

Archer I found myself not playing MP because I did not want to mess up the game for others and frankly that I had much to learn. Knowing full well that most of the players would probably say to play anyway in order to learn. I hope you keep playing and in so doing you find that not all MP games are like that.
"To walk into to almost certain death is insane,to do it with honor is heroic."
Archer
Reactions:

Post by Archer »

Thanks all for the feedback and info. I'll definately check out the KriegSpiel forum.

I'll also try my hand with a few smaller MP games if i can find one, like exp101 suggested ,....and then try GCM again...once i find that mute button. ;)

thanks
Archer
Fightin Joe
Reactions:

Post by Fightin Joe »

Being new to the forum, and new to multiplay, I would think a fine solution would be to implement couriers (assuming their not already implemented in regular multiplayer?) so the only griping will come from another general 25 yards or less.

It would be nice to have a multiplayer experience that incorporates some of the elements of HITS but also incorporates some of the elements of regular multiplayer, that way more players will join up.

While I like HITS, too many people are turned off by the restrictions hence it's harder to find players.
2ndAcr
Reactions:

Post by 2ndAcr »

I got a small group of 5-6 people that play co-op against the AI that is willing to train up newer players some. We use courier communication in game and limited camera at about 700 yards. Just send a PM here and we will get anyone involved.

You cannot ruin the game for any of us. Some of my more vet players are more than willing to take a brigade so a newer guy can practice with a div but be there to offer advice etc.