What is your favorite Napoleonic PC wargame, boardgame or miniature game? And Why?

Anthropoid
Reactions:

Re: What is your favorite Napoleonic PC wargame, boardgame or miniature game? And Why?

Post by Anthropoid »

How do I join? Making maps is one of the aspects of 'modding' that I've actually had some success at finishing and seeing my product used by other players :laugh:

Back in Forge of Freedom was in its post-release tweaking phases I was pretty active on their forums. The idea I had was that a complete list of every Civil War battlefield would be created, and then someone (and their army) would map, by map, create at least functional maps for each and every battlefield. These battlefields would then be somehow linked to hexes on the campaign map.

If you recall FoF is a strategic level, national map along with state level infrastructure, Governor leadership stuff, recruitment of units at the state level etc. It has a nice battle engine that allows you to either: (a) fight battles using the background maths; (b) fight battles with a sort of 'abstract' chessboard kind of battle grid, where you have some limited control over how your units deploy; or (c) fight battles on pretty highly detailed, but more or less completely random hex-grid maps. The problem with these hex grid maps is that they were completely random.

I thought it would be fantastic if more or less every place that a battle ever occurred was instead rendered and stored and then if the engine determined that a battle took place there, starting locations would be determined by some random calculations.

Obviously you guys do not yet have any sort of strategic layer but having the maps would make developing the strategic layer that much easier!

So yeah, sign me up! I'm pretty good with topography and physiography.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: What is your favorite Napoleonic PC wargame, boardgame or miniature game? And Why?

Post by Little Powell »

We are always eager to find more map modders. If you've done graphic design work in the past and are computer savvy, you should be able to catch on. You will need to be good with an image/graphic editing program like photoshop. Also building maps is a time consuming/tedious process, so having the free time and patience is also a requirement. :)

We'll be in touch soon.