Artillery Tutorial

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Spartan
Reactions:

Artillery Tutorial

Post by Spartan »

Hiya guys, I'm new here, hello.

I bought the game last night and am currently working my thru the tutorials. I am on the Artillery tutorial and have a question.

Can you please explain the difference between the Shell ammo, and the Solid Shot ammo, and which targets should I be using each of these against?

Cheers
Jim
Reactions:

Re: Artillery Tutorial

Post by Jim »

Shell was a hollow sphere filled with black powder and set off with a time fuse.

Solid was just that, a spherical (for smoothbore) or elongated (for rifled) solid iron projectile.

Shell, being explosive was used against infantry and cavalry formations at 300-900 yard ranges or so. The effect was injury due to shrapnel from the case fragments and from direct blast effect.

Solid was used at troops in formation at longer ranges and at artillery, where the impact of a shell hitting a caisson could detonate the black powder in the prepared artillery charges destroying the entire caisson and anyone too close at the time.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Spartan
Reactions:

Post by Spartan »

Thanks very much Jim.

Ive just been reading in other posts (granted they are 12 months old) that Solid Shot is the only way to go - is this still the case?
Last edited by Spartan on Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Solid shot is the only way to go, unless within canister range.

Always TC your battery commanders and give a fire at infantry, use solid shot order.

Counter battery fire is better than it used to be, but still not very effective. Only fire at enemy guns if you have no infantry targets.
Spartan
Reactions:

Post by Spartan »

Excuse the stupid question, but what does TC mean?

Cheers
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

S,

TC = Take Command. Clicking on this box in the toolbar will keep your Battery Commanders from wandering around the Battlefield, which they will do annoyingly often. (If you are out here in CA, they will head off to Starbucks for a Latte and a scone - pinheads...). Locking them in place will keep the guns firing and not constantly moving to find an (alleged) better position.

Jack B)
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
Spartan
Reactions:

Post by Spartan »

Thanks KG & Jack

I live in Manchester, UK, and there are plenty of Starbucks here. In fact I'm quite partial to coffee and cake...perhaps I'll just leave the Battery Commanders to it, and send my courier orders from the coffee house!
alizah
Reactions:

Post by alizah »

thanks for telling what TC stands for
Worried about VCP550 exam exam & comptia network+ preparation? We offer up-to-dated Florida Southern College practice questions and IFPUG dumps with 100% exam pass guarantee of icnd Northwestern University.