Fox's Division Report, Battle 22449

A multiplayer online persistence game for Scourge of War.
Lead your division from battle to battle where your casualties really
count.
jennison
Reactions:

Fox's Division Report, Battle 22449

Post by jennison »

Campaign: Stars and Bars

HITS mode with no map icons.

Maj Osmun Latrob,
Asst. Adjutant General & Asst. Inspector General: First Corps. Army of Northern Virginia.

MAJOR: I have the honor to submit the following report of the operations of this division during the recent battle.

Upon arriving on the field, I was ordered to remain in tactical reserve just east of Troy.

I then deployed the 44th TN as skirmishers and moved them South to reconnoitre.

At about 10:20 AM, I began to hear canon fire to the East. I was informed that Clarke's Division was hotly engaged with the enemy. I remained in reserve.

I observed as the reports began to arrive that Clarke's division was driving the enemy, although taking heavy casualties.

At 11:00 AM, I received orders to move East to support Clarke and attack what remained of the enemy and round up prisoners.

Upon arriving at my destination, I was nearly captured as I came upon a Zuoave regiment engaged with one of Clarke's regiments in a large patch of woods.

Evans brigade was the first to arrive so I deployed his 21st Georgia to engage them, supported by the 9th SC.

I then brought up Hayes Battery to support while the rest of my division was held in an open field to the West.

The 21st GA was only engaged a short while as the enemy began to break.

I ordered them along with the 9th SC to continue pressing East through the woods to seek out the enemy.

As they moved further to the South in a clearing, I joined them and observed a large Union force about a 500 yards to the south. It appeared to be a full Union division.

I moved my division to engage with Evans in the lead. I left the 9th SC behind in the woods to screen our rear.

It appeared the enemy was caught by surprise, and Evans brigade attacked their flank.

Soon after Evans was engaged, I moved Ellenwood's brigade on their right to support.

Regretfully the 21st Georgia from Evan's brigade was flanked on three sides and forced to surrender.

Evans brigade was suffering heavy casualties so I brought up Lawrey's brigade to support both him and Ellenwood.

He moved to the left of Evans and engaged the enemy's left.

Beechers brigade of Clarke's division also moved in to support me.

I ordered Evans and Ellenwood to act on their own discretion and drive the enemy if practical.

I sensed the enemy beginning to break so I double quicked the fresh 40th TN to finish them off.

My three batteries behaved splendidly as they continuously rained down a murderous fire on the enemy.

My men captured several enemy couriers which seemed to indicate the enemy was in dire need of support and on the run.

The fight raged on for nearly an hour as the stubborn enemy continued to bring regiments into the fight.

By the end of the battle, both the enemy and our forces held the field but the enemy was moderately beaten. I regret that our side suffered severe losses, with Col Rollins of the 29th GA missing in action.

Very respectfully, your obedient servant,
J. M. Fox,
Major-General, Commanding Division
Longstreets First Corps
Army of Northern Virginia

Confederate minor victory.

Totals
Troops - 4753
Remaining - 3317
Casualties Inflicted - 1528
Casualties - 1436
Percent 30%
Killed 175
Wounded 1056
Missing 205

Commander Casualties

Col James A Richardson (w) - 3rd Georgia
Col Jack S Rollins (mw) - 29th Georgia
Maj William Gaines (w) - 1st South Carolina

http://www.sowmp.com/gcm/battles/divisi ... ?div=20695
Last edited by jennison on Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chamberlain
Reactions:

Re: Fox's Division Report, Battle 22449

Post by Chamberlain »

Hey jenison,

Very nice, detailed write up !!!!!

Good job !!!!

;)

Chamberlain
-Col. Joshua Chamberlain, 20th Maine

We cannot retreat. We cannot withdraw. We are going to have to be stubborn today