Infantry charges against artillery

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
General Straw-Wall
Reactions:

Infantry charges against artillery

Post by General Straw-Wall »

When I charge unprotected artillery, my soldiers charge right through and have no impact. The artillery just keeps firing. If I stop and fire, I do inflict casualties but at a terrible cost to my infantry. What is wrong?

General Straw-Wall
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Infantry charges against artillery

Post by RebBugler »

Assuming you hit the Charge button, they were either Tired or Exhausted. Fatigued troops won't charge.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
General Straw-Wall
Reactions:

Post by General Straw-Wall »

Thanks for the response. I assume from your response that fresh troops will charge and take a battery. If fatigued troops are in double time mode and run over artillery, they apparently don't fight them.

Thanks again.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Yes, fresh troops definitely capture guns. You'll need to issue a charge order and then they capture the nearest gun. Further charge orders may be necessary to get them to capture subsequent guns in the battery, but if an enemy infantry unit comes closer than the nearest gun, they'll charge the infantry instead (units ordered to charge always charge the nearest enemy, you cannot choose a target of the charge, so placing your attacking units in the correct location is critical).
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.