SOW Gettysburg and Win 8 ??

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: SOW Gettysburg and Win 8 ??

Post by Garnier »

He uses mods. It's hard to get someone to test the game for many hours without mods, so I appreciate all the data you're giving, John.

It would be especially helpful (any time you're willing to), after each game put a new row in this spreadsheet:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... eSUgDSk4BU

Then we'd have a record that's easier to look at than reading the posts. If anyone else using windows 8 wants to record their games here too that'd be great.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

like this? (attached)(don't know how to insert the file here)
Garnier
Reactions:

Post by Garnier »

No need to insert the file, when you edit the spreadsheet the changes are available for everyone who looks at that link. Thanks!

(If someone vandalizes the spreadsheet, don't worry, all the edit history stays there.)
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Have you tried your MP using the direct IP connection as opposed to going through the lobby? It *should not* make a difference, but stranger things have happened.

As for future development, I am planning to replace my vintage 2008 desktop with a new system. I will have a dual boot setup with both Win 7 for routine use and Win 8.1 that I can use for OS related testing. So we will have that covered at least on one system.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
voltigeur
Reactions:

Post by voltigeur »

this is probably no help at all in troubleshooting.. but I have to report not a single issue with win 8.1 64bit (including Update 1) in any SOW games so far, including non modded SP as well as modded (Road to Wagram - we don't use GCM at the moment) MP games.

We have a group of 3 players regularly playing MP and I am hosting (we use direct IP connect method), and we've had no issues with lag, dropouts or crashes so far (approx 5 MP games 1-2 hrs in length, players located in different states of Australia). Perhaps problems compound as more players are added? We shall see.

Just for completeness it's only me in the group that is running win8x - the others are running win7

cheers
Last edited by voltigeur on Fri May 16, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

hi jim...I really don't think most future SOW players/customers will be working with a "dual setup" (or even how to do it)...I really think the issue(s) are in the game/server area; games "off line" are fine...any ideas?
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

ok...worth a try:

- can anyone tell me (and assume i'm dumb) exactly how to setup/run a 3 player game using direct IP? (really, step by step)(smile)
- i'd give it a try this weekend

BUT...even IF it was to work, I would hope that the issue is still "an issue" and maybe could be resolved? thanks
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

hi jim...I really don't think most future SOW players/customers will be working with a "dual setup" (or even how to do it)...I really think the issue(s) are in the game/server area; games "off line" are fine...any ideas?
I don't think Jim was implying that a Win7/8 duel boot setup will be common, he was just stating that he will have Win 8 available for testing.

To connect direct IP, you need to have a host machine with a port forwarded on their router (typically port 31791), then the other players connect directly to them via the hosts external IP address. There is a great site that explains how to forward a port for every router make/model out there.

http://portforward.com/

So in other words, get your port forwarded on your router (31791), then go to MP in the game and click the Host button. Other players can connect to you by typing in your external IP address in the Server IP field. You can find your IP address by going to http://www.whatsmyip.org/
Last edited by Little Powell on Fri May 16, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnVW
Reactions:

Post by JohnVW »

I won't have a chance to try this until probably next week, BUT...if I can figure out how to set this "port forward" is this something I will then have to go back to and "undo" when i'm done with SOW? (will it mess anything else up?)
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I won't have a chance to try this until probably next week, BUT...if I can figure out how to set this "port forward" is this something I will then have to go back to and "undo" when i'm done with SOW? (will it mess anything else up?)
There won't be anything to undo in SOW or it won't mess anything up.

There was a time in early Dev of the game where there was no lobby, and all we did was direct connect to each other for testing MP.