tutorial on brigade road march

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
gwgardner
Reactions:

tutorial on brigade road march

Post by gwgardner »

I guess I could be the most hopeless person to ever play the game, because I haven't even completed the first tutorial. Can't get past the brigade road march section of tutorial one.

I haven't found a way to get the instructions repeated, so here's what I think I was told to do:

click on the brigade commander's flag, double click on the destination circle, go to one of the regiments (the one I want to be last in the march, I think), click on its flag, then click on the road march icon.

Having done the above, only the commander goes to the destination.

Can someone explain this to me? Thanks for any help.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Re: tutorial on brigade road march

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

First, welcome to the forum. After you select the location you want your commander to move to, you must click on a formation you want his units to deploy into when they get there. After that, click on the Use Roads button. The commander and regiments will then move to the nearest road and march towards their destination. The game has a bit of a learning curve, but you'll catch on quickly.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
gwgardner
Reactions:

Post by gwgardner »

Thanks.

It was the word 'formation' I mistook the meaning of. I took that to mean which regiment.

I'm already having fun, just on this tutorial. I remember playing SPI's old Gettysburg board game back in the '70s, marching regiments around using cardboard counters. That was an awesome game, and this one looks to be the same.
Last edited by gwgardner on Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack ONeill
Reactions:

Post by Jack ONeill »

GW,

Welcome Brother-to-be. You have absolutely no idea what glorious hell you are about to enter. There is no escape. There is only glorious Gaming. Fight well....

Jack O'Neill B)

"Molon Labe"
American by birth, Californian by geography, Southerner by the Grace of God.

"Molon Labe"
gwgardner
Reactions:

Post by gwgardner »

Still on tutorial 1, now doing the second part of the woods movement instructions. I could swear the tutorial says to use the 'main keyboard key 6' to get the brigade to move forward 300 yards. That doesn't work for me. Looking at the manual, I see it says either keypad 5 or keypad 8, and those work for me.

Perhaps the manual has been updated but the tutorials not?
J. Chamberlain
Reactions:

Post by J. Chamberlain »

Bit of a necro with this thread.

I have the 1.60 demo. I'm trying to complete the first tutorial, the Brigade road march. I get the commander and the brigade to the indicated area on the map but the scenario will not end or move on to the next lesson.
Floyd
Reactions:

Post by Floyd »

I have just re-played the first tutorial and here are some remarks:

if ordered to move your brigade, select your commander (button 'go to me'),
then check where you should go (key 'M' for map, look for the yellow star),
then double click into the yellow rotating circle to select your commanders waypoint,
then click on one of the formation buttons (line, column, double line),
then click on the red(!) button 'use roads' to let your brigade take the roads.
The sequence of the orders is important.

if you want to re-read your orders, switch to the 'Orders' menu, click the 'Dispatches received' button,
click/select one of the messages and click the 'Show message' button

if you want to advance your units by 300 yards, select your general and press NUMPAD 5.

if you need info about the hotkeys, press 'F1' and select the first element, then press 'Show' button.

Have fun.
Last edited by Floyd on Mon May 26, 2014 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Gave you a Thanks there Floyd because I, along with probably some other team members, don't really recall what's offered in the demo regarding tutorials. I do know that we did expand the sandbox options to give folks a better look at what SOW has to offer.

Appreciate you helping out here. :)
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...