Difficulty with the "We Want Those Guns" scenario

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
Grognard Pierre
Reactions:

Re: Difficulty with the "We Want Those Guns" scenario

Post by Grognard Pierre »

Phew! I finally managed to dominate this scenario after numerous efforts. Typically in the past I would take the Peach Orchard without any problems but would stall for lack of troops and energy at the Wheatfield. Then would come the overwhelming counterattack and my lads would wither away. :(
Why would I not get good assistance from Andersons brigade on my flank? Hell, one game had the Union still in control of Devils Den at game end.
So, this time I threw Kershaw and Semmes brigades into the woods to the south and southwest of the Wheatfield and coordinated with Andersons units to flank and destroy the Union opposition fighting there. That even allowed some of Kershaws regiments to approach the Devils Den from the north, cutting the units there off and generating a complete rout of the whole Union flank.
On the left, after taking the Peach Orchard and Sherfy's farm the fighting quietened down for a while so I sent three of Barksdales rested regiments over to assist Semmes. This was mighty useful, since he was barely holding his own in the woods to the west of the Wheatfield. This allowed me to cycle some units out to rest, and maintain the pressure.
When Kershaws' brigade returned I was able to conduct a serious assault on the wheatfield from three sides, taking and holding it. Phew, tensions are high, now to hold on as strong enemy forces were mustering to the north.
Back at the Peach Orchard one strong Union unit approached and some of my battered recovering units were having a hard time of it. I brought up a battery which unlimbered in the field north across the intersection from the Orchard, gave them canister and the enemy promptly broke and ran. What a sight!
On the right I set up a line along Wheatfield lane and awaited the enemy assault. Some of Andersons' and Bennings regiments turned up. I had a battery in the Wheatfield, another in the field to the west and one north of the Peach Orchard which all did good work on the big blue target.
It was a tense struggle, but for once my forces seemed to be on top of things, I held the line and then suddenly the game ended.
Really enjoyable gaming. 9352 points, not too shabby. :laugh:
Last edited by Grognard Pierre on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Minor error