What are you using for MP?

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Re:What are you using for MP?

Post by JC Edwards »

UglyElmo wrote:
..... so I guess to "port forward" means I needs a few more strings. :woohoo:
You could always pick up a Warp Core!:P
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Port forwarding or mapping is what you do if you are behind a router.

Usually a router connects to the internet and the computers in your house connect to the router. This hides your computers from the internet and lessens the security threat.

To start an MP game, I need your IP and a port. That is the address of your computer on the internet and the port that the game is listening on. Since only the router is on the internet and your computer is behind the router, you need to map the port. Which tells the router that all incoming messages on this port need to go to this other computer on my internal network.

It's like living in an apartment building and having the group mailbox thing. That mailbox is the router. All mail that comes to your building goes into that box. But you each have an apartment number. So you would forward the mail to the right apartment. Each apartment is "mapped" to a number. So you get the right mail. If there is no number, the mail is lost, just like the packet would be lost if the port is not mapped.

So that either confused you more or helped you a little.

So if your internet ip is 1.2.3.4, and you start your computer, it gets a internal ip address, usually 192.168.1.2 or something like that.

So you start the game and listen on port 3456, now you map the port.

so if I send a message to 1.2.3.4:3456, your router knows where to send the mail...

1.2.3.4:3456 -> 192.168.1.2:3456

So your computer gets all the incoming messages on that port.
UglyElmo
Reactions:

Post by UglyElmo »

I understand now. You did a fine job explaining it in terms I could understand Norb. Thanks.

I have looked into my routers software and I believe I know how to port forward when it becomes necessary. If not you guys will hear from me again. :)
For any prior or future Ugly's out there, my contact info:
el-marko1@insightbb.com