KS Napoleon Scenario This Weekend

This is where we discuss anything multiplayer. From strategies, arranging games, to multiplayer related technical help. You will also find tournament and league information here.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: KS Napoleon Scenario This Weekend

Post by Davinci »

I think if you only placed 2 or 3 small buildings at each road junction quite widely spaced apart - lets say further apart than the frontage of a regiment in line - I think you'd be being fair on your AI.

Please remember also that in MP games we often don't have much fully-controlled AI and players can force a regiment around an obstacle like a building.

MTG has created a minimap for this map that sets it in Germany with 'towns' all over it - and it helps a great deal with orienting yourself on this big map when you look at a road junction from a distance and can see a couple of buildings there.
Yes, but MTG is a lot better modder than I am.
I don't think complex settlements are needed with barns, outhouses, hayricks and such, just something to represent the presence of a settlement.
So, from reading this you – guys are playing without the map-icons correct?

I can see how that would make marching around this map sort of hard to navigate-around.

Years ago I tried playing without the map-icons but quickly gave that up due to the fact that it is almost impossible to micro-manage twenty-seven brigades without the icons present.

I’m not sure if MTG would feel like doing this, but I think that I counted twenty-one towns on the map above.

I would just name the roads around the towns the name of the nearest town. This would help to know that you are marching near that particular town.

The whole road doesn’t have to have a name, only the center pixel.

But, I’m not sure if that would slow down the game if playing online.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

We have bare minimap, yes. Having any map icons completely kills the immersion for us. I also turn off unit flags, road march markers, the range radar and every other playing aid in the whole game. Getting things as realistic as the game allows is one of the main aims of our MP group.

I guess we'll just have to learn how to add a few buildings ourselves, though it would be a shame to have 2 different versions of this excellent map around.

Have you got plans to release an updated version - the one you're working on now with the fences and streams, etc?
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Having any map icons completely kills the immersion for us. I also turn off unit flags, road march markers, the range radar and every other playing aid in the whole game. Getting things as realistic as the game allows is one of the main aims of our MP group.
Same here except for the map-icons, and I’m not sure what you mean by the unit flags.
I guess we'll just have to learn how to add a few buildings ourselves, though it would be a shame to have 2 different versions of this excellent map around.
Until I read this line I was under the impression that MTG already edited the map that you were playing on.
So the structures on the mini-map above are not actually in the game?
Have you got plans to release an updated version - the one you're working on now with the fences and streams, etc.
You absolutely can have a copy of it, but due to the experimental-state that it is in one of your group-members will have to have some experience with modding-maps.

It’s 25MB in size, and I think that the Emails will only accept file sizes of 10MB .
SO, it would have to be broken up in three parts and sent by Email, but it would take someone on your end to reassemble it and post it somewhere where the others can get it.

Also the trees are not packed in the new-format. I was experimenting with those, but I think that all of the bushes \ weeds are packed in the new-format, but neither of those is a big deal.

BTW – It might be possible for anyone to reassemble the files if the files are placed into a LibEdit window.

That’s a file that comes with the Power-Render-Program, but I haven’t tried it to see if that would work.
EDIT Post - To add this

I just tried it, the map files can be reassembled by anyone with the LibEdit window, which I will include with the downloaded files.

BTW - there are no streams on the map, I couldn't get the map to streams to work without re-doing the entire map.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!