Sprites & cores

Any technical questions for Waterloo go here!
Archer
Reactions:

Sprites & cores

Post by Archer »

A couple Waterloo questions.

1. Has the number of sprites per unit (125 for Gettysburg) been increased at all for Waterloo? (I hope so)
2. Does Waterloo take advantage of multi-core processor machines? From what I read Gettysburg did not and I think this was an objective at one time... to have Waterloo make use of multiple cores.

Look forward to buying the game!

Regards,
Archer
Gunfreak
Reactions:

Sprites & cores

Post by Gunfreak »

Gettysburg didn't have a fixed number. But 1:4 scale. So a regiment of 800 would have 200 sprites.

In Waterloo its 1:6 so 600 soldiers is 100 sprites
Saddletank
Reactions:

Sprites & cores

Post by Saddletank »

Gettysburg is limited however to 125 sprites max per unit, regardless of what each represents.

From what I saw of the Matrix video the battle demonstrated there used 1:10. The cavalry squadrons looked really small.

Remember that sprite ratio is different from maximum number of sprites in a unit.

Sprite ratio is largely irrelevant because its down to the customer's PC, max unit size is the biggie and I suspect SoW:WL will be the same.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Archer
Reactions:

Sprites & cores

Post by Archer »

yes, the max number of sprites per unit is what I was referring too. The more sprites the better in my opinion. it more visually realistic. Its kind of hard to imagine a 800 man regt when there's only 125 sprites. ...but I know sprites can be a drain on resources. ...which is why I guess I asked about the cores.

regards,
Archer
gunship24
Reactions:

Sprites & cores

Post by gunship24 »

The number of allowed sprites has been increased to 200 per unit. This was to better visually represent the larger 1000 men battalions at Waterloo on 1:4 sprite ratio. The scenarios are written for 1:6 ratio after many hours of testing. Of course fear not! For those that want more sprites the option for 1:4 (or less!) is always available.
Destraex
Reactions:

Sprites & cores

Post by Destraex »

Can we get an answer on the multiple cores. This is a major concern if we are going to talk about depending on customers PC power.
voltigeur
Reactions:

Sprites & cores

Post by voltigeur »

Can we get an answer on the multiple cores.
Norb responded to this a while ago, I believe that LOS calculations run in a separate thread now

quoting Norb:
We have threaded all the LOS calculations and have been running that way for almost a year.
Last edited by voltigeur on Wed May 13, 2015 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Destraex
Reactions:

Sprites & cores

Post by Destraex »

So the most that can be used is a single core with two hyperthreads even if we have 8 cores. Better than nothing.