Scale... not a criticism...just a suggestion.

A new scenario/battle editor is in development and should be following hot on the heels of Waterloo - any questions can go here.
Anderson
Reactions:

Scale... not a criticism...just a suggestion.

Post by Anderson »

Hi,

There are of course many, probably all in fact, who in the perfect world would have liked even the map to be 1 : 1 in scale. However if the development team say that the resultant need to fill all that space means there would be way too many figures on the map for the target system spec to cope with I am sure your right. Waterloo will still be fantastically, scarily realistic.

However in order to totally defuse the issue, quite a few of your customers are very nerdish in pursuit of their military history hobby including me ;) it would be great if when a fuller editor is launched it allows people to build scenarios scaled 1 : 1. Then people could try for themselves. Maybe build and play over a smaller map representing 1 miles by 1 miles a couple of brigades v a couple of brigades.

Then for the huge battles, go with the scaling as shipped.

Am a huge fan of the system. Did years ago play around with the data files in ACV version. People could build maps scaled 1 : 1 with the size of the buildings, figures, maybe tweak the data files for range. Haven’t thought it all through.

But tweaking any editor, when it comes, so as to make true 1 : 1 in map size also easily playable, if people wish, would satisfy a curiosity in many and issue for some. No doubt anything other than a very small battle would not run on most systems.

I often state that the only wargames I rate as worth playing are Combat Mission, Command Ops and Scourge of War. Now also Flashpoint Campaigns and Desert War. Always hoped you would go Napoleonic.. from a tactics point of view even more interesting than ACW.

Looking forward to release,
All the best,
Kip.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Scale... not a criticism...just a suggestion.

Post by RebBugler »

Cool, the SR1 enthusiasts are popping up everywhere. :woohoo:

The present 5 mile maps would actually represent 1 mile squared, or thereabouts for SR1 play. So forget anything smaller, I believe that would be very confined.

The biggie as I've stated before is the development of SR1 OOBs, from these you design the scenarios. You can design stand alone scenarios (built in OOB) but that just limits further design possibilities that you can achieve with separate OOBs.

Also, once the OOB is built it's ready for Sandbox play and testing, no scenario necessary, and testing can begin with your REAL mile long brigade line, stretching from map edge to map edge. :lol:
Last edited by RebBugler on Sat May 30, 2015 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Anderson
Reactions:

Re: Scale... not a criticism...just a suggestion.

Post by Anderson »

REdBugler, hi,

Yup..thanks.. I am not shocked or transfixed by the scaling of the map. For bigger games was always going to be necessary.

Will try the “pure..” 1 : 1 out of curiosity for smaller scenarios.. but happy to go with your scaling on 90% of the games I play.

All the best,
Kip.