First Impressions

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

First Impressions

Post by NY Cavalry »

Everything looks good. I only really understand American Civil War tactics so I cannot comment with any authority on how the Napoleonics is playing out, but from what I am expecting it is looking good. It took me two games to figure out the new controls. Now I think I can dive right in.

So, as soon as we can get a mod to re-simplify the command keys it will be looking pretty good. I am not a fan of the new system. And the command options that pop up when a right click is done has to go. I find myself having to hit 2 or 3 keys when with SOW I only click once.

All the best, I'm sure this will be a big success.

Now on to some MP................

And you will need a 3 button mouse to properly navigate the map or it is very cumbersome with a two button mouse. You have to hold the ctl button down or use the keys which I am out of the habit of doing.
Last edited by NY Cavalry on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ColBlimp
Reactions:

Re: First Impressions

Post by ColBlimp »

And the command options that pop up when a right click is done has to go.
Options Page 1
Disable Context Menu
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Options Page 1
Disable Context Menu
In addition, once you disable the context menu I suggest you enable the Grog Toolbar located in Modifications. It contains all the context menu functions plus MANY more commands. Please read the Info on the right side of the Modifications screen for heading off known issues: select then Resign then restart, etc.
Last edited by RebBugler on Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Willard
Reactions:

Post by Willard »

Options Page 1
Disable Context Menu
In addition, once you disable the context menu I suggest you enable the Grog Toolbar located in Modifications. It contains all the context menu functions plus MANY more commands. Please read the Info on the right side of the Modifications screen for heading off known issues: select then Resign then restart, etc.
I just did that and much prefer those command options. I can see that new players will like the new command options. Just hard after all these years to learn new tricks!

NYCav and I played a short MP game. Game loaded on the first try and was really quick with the load compared to Gettysburg. No MP problems or lag so very pleased with that so far!

Looking real good and will get you more feedback as I continue to play.

Great job!
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Glad to hear MP is working ok.

Don't give up on the new controls too soon. We had a steep learning curve at first too, but once we finally started to settle on a working system it was clear most of us wouldn't be going back.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Although I ALWAYS opt to use the Grog toolbar (what can I say, it's my baby :) ), I also use it with the context menus on. The destination menu is extremely useful especially since you can stack (right click) commands up (queued up) and execute them all at once via the queue (pronounced 'cue') function. I must admit though, the other menus tend to just get in the way, but that's no prob because you simply don't right click on the selected unit and you'll never see them.
oho
Reactions:

Post by oho »

I'm very disappointed! I asked if the column in division is used by the AI and you said it's the default attack formation. I played for 2 hours now sandbox and waterloo scenarios and i only twice saw somthinh like column of division by the AI, once when a melee occured, and once it was a march by english guards.
Everything else was line (90 %) formation and marching formation with a chaos of crossing lines, wheeling battalions overlapping. There isn't even an indication of column in division in the normal toolbar.
The battlefields in napoleon ages use much fewer line than (different) columns when moving over the battlefield. This I miss totally.
RDBoles
Reactions:

Post by RDBoles »

Played a sandbox game. At first things were very slow, I captured the objective with no opposition in sight. And then they came on two fronts. No problem, a little swivel, all was going well. Then from the rear, a brigade with a battery showed up. Everything worked out on the computer, no lag, excellent graphics, colors of uniforms are outstanding, The little towns cool. Any way peeled off a brigade from both right and left and dropped back a battery and destroyed the rear brigade they sent in. I'm going to try the Grog tool box next. I was into the game ten minutes before I figured out the middle wheel on my mouse can rotate the screen. If I don't get close to the designated spot to move my troops, it is hard to determine the direction of the green arrow. Maybe I'm not doing it right yet. No offence, but looks like I will be ignoring SOW-Gettysburg for awhile. This Waterloo game is better than I ever anticipated. BZ26V
Move Forward
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

About the direction arrow, yeah, it bugged me at first but now I LOVE it. Don't try to click on it and turn it, that's maddening. Right click your destination then sweep (while holding the right button down) to the direction you want it to point, works every time for me once I got the hang of it. Of course, takes a little practice and you need some camera elevation, but not much.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

takes a little practice and you need some camera elevation, but not much.
What about when you don't have any camera elevation? For example if your HITS distance is set to 2 yards? The sweep arrow needs a set of turn buttons backing it up in the context menu.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.