Saving battles

Questions on the new sandbox campaign for Waterloo can go here.
william1993
Reactions:

Saving battles

Post by william1993 »

i read the manual on how, in campaign, you can save one battle and then switch to another. How exactly does that work?

Let us say I am fighting in both Mons and Brussels. Brussels started at 8 AM and Mons at 9:30. So I can save the battle at 10 in Brussels and then load the Mons, which has only been happening for 30 mins?
God darn. Holy testicles. All them people.
con20or
Reactions:

Re: Saving battles

Post by con20or »

Not quite, you will have to quit out of Brussels battle at 10am, then load the Mons battle, frozen in time at 9:30 and fight the 30 mins in Mons yourself to get campaign time up to 10am.

Here is a reply from an earlier post of mine.

Basically it all comes down to time.

1. Say Army A meets Army B at 10:00, battle starts.
2. Army C is marching on a different road.
3. You fight for an hour between A & B, save and return to the campaign map. You now have an hour of campaign time to ffwd to 11.00 and Army C can move further down the road.
4. Army C now meets Army D at 11.00, and another battle begins. You now have two battles in your battle list.
5. You return to AvB on the battle map and fight it all the way through to 12.00until one of you wins.
6. BUT you will not yet be able to ffwd the campaign map time past the CvD 11.00 battle time until you have advanced that battle too.
7. Say you now advance the CvD battle one hour to 12.00, then order a victorious Army A on the campaign map to move to the rear of Army D to cut off their retreat - i.e. your QB, Ligny question.
8. Finish the CvD battle, which takes you to 14.00, Army A has 2 hours movement on the campaign map built up, moves into position while Army CvD are still locked in battle and can cut off the retreating Army D.

It all works very well, doesn't influence performance, means you aren't flooded with battles, can concentrate on one battle at a time but can still have armies manouvering in the background once it is unpaused.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

Not quite, you will have to quit out of Brussels battle at 10am, then load the Mons battle, frozen in time at 9:30 and fight the 30 mins in Mons yourself to get campaign time up to 10am.

Here is a reply from an earlier post of mine.

Basically it all comes down to time.

1. Say Army A meets Army B at 10:00, battle starts.
2. Army C is marching on a different road.
3. You fight for an hour between A & B, save and return to the campaign map. You now have an hour of campaign time to ffwd to 11.00 and Army C can move further down the road.
4. Army C now meets Army D at 11.00, and another battle begins. You now have two battles in your battle list.
5. You return to AvB on the battle map and fight it all the way through to 12.00until one of you wins.
6. BUT you will not yet be able to ffwd the campaign map time past the CvD 11.00 battle time until you have advanced that battle too.
7. Say you now advance the CvD battle one hour to 12.00, then order a victorious Army A on the campaign map to move to the rear of Army D to cut off their retreat - i.e. your QB, Ligny question.
8. Finish the CvD battle, which takes you to 14.00, Army A has 2 hours movement on the campaign map built up, moves into position while Army CvD are still locked in battle and can cut off the retreating Army D.

It all works very well, doesn't influence performance, means you aren't flooded with battles, can concentrate on one battle at a time but can still have armies manouvering in the background once it is unpaused.
I think I understand, and this makes sense. Can units arrive as reinforcements during battles? Especially from true north/south/east/west position from the campaign map? i.e., can I have reinforcements arrive on the flank like the Prussians at Waterloo?
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

We did not get a chance to implement additional troops arriving to/withdrawing from a battle in real time for the initial release. It is something we are eager to do though. You can close off an enemies line of retreat, i.e. move them around and have them waiting to catch a defeated enemy mid-retreat.