Reinforcements

Questions on the new sandbox campaign for Waterloo can go here.
Harag
Reactions:

Reinforcements

Post by Harag »

Hi

Loving the idea of the campaign map, great new feature, can't wait for this to my multiplayer as well.

Question I have is about reinforcements - if I split my army up and send a corp one way and another corp a different way, if I then send them both to the same town and the first corp meets the enemy at that town, will the 2nd corp show up 1/2 way through the battle as it arrives at the town..

E.g. does the campaign units still move while you're playing the battle - since it's all real time, will reinforcements show up?

Please keep up the excellent work!
con20or
Reactions:

Re: Reinforcements

Post by con20or »

They will move, but we have not yet implemented adding extra troops to, or removing troops from battles in progress. What you can do is engage the enemy with one army, move the other around to the enemy rear and cut off their line of retreat.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

They will move, but we have not yet implemented adding extra troops to, or removing troops from battles in progress. What you can do is engage the enemy with one army, move the other around to the enemy rear and cut off their line of retreat.
Will armies surrender on the campaign map, or disband at some point? How do you destroy an army?
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

We really wanted to get reinforcements working. I must have started 5 times. But it was such a huge change and required so many in game changes, that it could not be done in the time we had. It's something sorely needed in campaign mode, we realize that.
IronBMike
Reactions:

Post by IronBMike »

We really wanted to get reinforcements working. I must have started 5 times. But it was such a huge change and required so many in game changes, that it could not be done in the time we had. It's something sorely needed in campaign mode, we realize that.
How possible is a separate engine just for the campaign? Not fancy or 3D or anything, but just a simple 2D hex map?

Or even a sort of "third-party" campaign map that runs in a different window and pops you over to battles in SOW.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Really not. The campaign map is just another game map and uses the same code for the most part. Just differs in scale, movement rates and terrain types.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863