Favorite Civil war qoutes

jebstuart
Reactions:

Re: Favorite Civil war qoutes

Post by jebstuart »

As Union Troops routed at Harrisburg

Banks: Stop, men! Don't you love your country? 

Private: We do, by God, and we're trying to get back to it as quick as possible! 

"I've always thought the Yankees had something to do with it."

-General Pickett on why the charge on the third day at Gettysburg failed.

"If I killed all the reporters, there'd be news from Hell before breakfast."

-William Tecumseh Sherman
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen days before Gettysburg 

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to heaven, found he had outflanked them and was already there". Northern newspaper about the death of Stonewall Jackson

"No way Sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
southern solider about northern general sherman
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Post by Stellar Duck »

"If I killed all the reporters, there'd be news from Hell before breakfast."

-William Tecumseh Sherman
I've always enjoyed Shermans relationship to the press.

Generally, he's probably my favourite general from that war. Well, him or Grant.
Snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory since 1982
cliometrician
Reactions:

Post by cliometrician »

"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby, Gray Ghost of the Confederacy

"If slaves will make good soldiers our whole theory of slavery is wrong." Robert Toombs, 1864
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby, Gray Ghost of the Confederacy
Never seen that one before. Love it. :)
jebstuart
Reactions:

Post by jebstuart »

“wait a moment major, I 'll bring one from the Yankees yonder” returning little while later “ here's the horse I promised you, major, and a Yankee to boot” [ captured federal officer as well]
Private argyle powell to major Phil Allin upon losing his horse before a charge

In pursuit of routed federals confederate officer yells “Get out of our country, you worthless rascals”
Federal tuns his head and says “Faith and by Jasus an't it that same we're trying to do just as fast as we can”

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to heaven, found he had outflanked them and was already there". Northern newspaper about the death of Stonewall Jackson

"No way Sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
jebstuart
Reactions:

Post by jebstuart »

General Jo Shelby to scouts
“Did you see them?”
“Yes general”
“Did you count them?”
“No,General”
“Then, uh, well fight them by heaven”

stonewalljackson
Reactions:

Post by stonewalljackson »

Not a quote but good.

Stonewall jackson had an old negro man who acted in the capacity of a body servant. It has become common remark in the camp that none knows of the generals plans but this old negro. Asked how he became in such confidence of the general

"Lord sir, said he. "Massa never tells me nothing, but the way I knows is this. Massa says his prayers twice a day,morning and night. But if he gets out of bed three times in the night to pray, you see i just commences packing my sack, for i know theres will be the devil to pay the next day"
Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".
northern newspaper about the death of stonewall jackson
stonewalljackson
Reactions:

Post by stonewalljackson »

"I know only two tunes: one of them is 'Yankee Doodle', and the other isn't."

Ulysses S. Grant

"My dear McClellan. If you don't want to use the army, I would like to borrow it for a while. Yours respectfully, A. Lincoln."
Abraham Lincoln
Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".
northern newspaper about the death of stonewall jackson