Strange unrealistic troop formations

Let's talk about the issues in converting the SOW engine to handle Waterloo. Ideas, suggestions, feature requests, comments.
Mel
Reactions:

Strange unrealistic troop formations

Post by Mel »

Whilst playing Waterloo battles WL04 a brigade form into two lines in the shape of a cross and another line of troops started marching round in a circle.
Why would this happen?
Mods being used are Formation mod,Chasseurs a cheval GUARD,gb1s1 files,slower animation,KSNapoleon mod 112,KS SOW Supplemental maps 109 and KS Sprites mod 102
Not using grog toolbar
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: Strange unrealistic troop formations

Post by Saddletank »

I'd certainly recommend turning off some of those mods.

Slower Animation isn't needed with v112 of the KS mod since its included.

Formation Mod isn't needed - ditto.

Chasseurs a Cheval Guard sprites - ditto unless you are using a stock WL OOB.

GB LSL files not needed unless you have SoW Gettysburg installed and are using one of the stock or pay add-on Gettysburg maps.

However I don't think these are causing what you are seeing. There's been other threads about the somewhat odd wheeling turning and crossed lines formations on the forum and it may be down to a player ordering two brigades to operate too close together. If you're using the KS Mod, ordering your brigades to use the single line or double line of battalion column of divisions formations may help as these get your battalions into less wide formations and leave good gaps between battalions.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Grog
Reactions:

Post by Grog »

Hi Mel

My understanding is that the stock Waterloo scenarios do not utilise mods, unlike the sandbox, user scenarios and MP.

Lines will sometimes cross (even in the mods) and the circles you mentioned are as a result of the unit making an extreme change of direction and the way the sprites move.

It will happen more often in the 'vanilla' game because the Formation and KSNapoleon mods both utilise columns more for movement, as does ReBubler's grog toolbar.

'Vanilla' SOWWL AI formations might well give more effective firing lines but you have to allow a lot more space and time to do this. Utilise columns when you are moving around units behind the firing line or in more cramped circumstances.

No need play'naughts and crosses' :)
gunship24
Reactions:

Post by gunship24 »

Whilst playing Waterloo battles WL04 a brigade form into two lines in the shape of a cross and another line of troops started marching round in a circle.
Why would this happen?
Mods being used are Formation mod,Chasseurs a cheval GUARD,gb1s1 files,slower animation,KSNapoleon mod 112,KS SOW Supplemental maps 109 and KS Sprites mod 102
Not using grog toolbar
The formations overlapping is due to the individual unit AIs. One thing we are working on is reducing the AI unit cross-over considerably.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

One of the things that may be related to unit boundaries and pathing is the frequent inability to send your general avatar exactly where you need him. I often want to get close to a unit to give it a commander bonus but the game won't let me because another unit is either nearby or earmarked to go to that location so it sends my avatar on a wide path off to one side.

Can commander avatars/generals be exempt from the pathing/unit boundary logic please?
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

One of the things that may be related to unit boundaries and pathing is the frequent inability to send your general avatar exactly where you need him. I often want to get close to a unit to give it a commander bonus but the game won't let me because another unit is either nearby or earmarked to go to that location so it sends my avatar on a wide path off to one side.

Can commander avatars/generals be exempt from the pathing/unit boundary logic please?
The officer's pathing avoid only the fire (friend or enemy) and enemy tiles on the map, the fire tiles can be very extended in the fighting areas. So if the direct way pass in one of them, the path is calculated in order to avoid all the fire tiles active in that moment.

Friends units are considered only in the pathing of normal units.
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Is it still possible to amend this though? It makes for some quite frustrating play at times.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

I too have difficulty placing myself or other friendly commanders near troops. No enemy units are nearby. They do not even have to be in sight. This is a frequent problem. It seems as if the square is locked for exclusive use by a unit. The unit does not have to be present at that spot, it only has to be moving to it.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
mitra76
Reactions:

Post by mitra76 »

If the destination point of a officer is the tile occupied by a unit or the tile which a marching unit will occupy at the end of march the destination is changed to a place 20-50 yards of distant from the original, like you have tried to march on a building or invalid ground. This mean you can march trough or with friendly troops but you cannot halt one the same tiles of this last sprites, 1 tile behind or 1 tile ahead is ok, of course if you're already here is not like you're moved. This check is important for the officer searching refuge inside the squares and have officers flag overlapping with units flags.
Is it still possible to amend this though? It makes for some quite frustrating play at times.
The problem should be present only if you're trying to move between two fire areas or you're trying to exit, behind a battalion it will be always valid. It is important for preempt the AI officers to march too near or have destinations in dangerous situations especially when the support movement of officer is called is called at brigade level and they move near the fire line.
Visit my wargames blog: http://warforgame.blogspot.it/
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

I understand why it is done Mitra, its just frustrating. It's an unwanted gameplay glitch. As you know we play HITS and to us the general avatar is "me"; it breaks the immersion when "I" can't ride my horse where I wish to.

I am not concerned about commander deaths. These were quite common.

Can the calculation be removed?