My Gui has got to go

Any technical questions for Waterloo go here!
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Re: My Gui has got to go

Post by NY Cavalry »

I don't put much stock into reviews and neither should you. I have seen countless times where reviews are dead wrong.

Best reviews are from players who actually take the time to get to know a program.
Last edited by NY Cavalry on Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

"Compared to previous Scourge of War games though, Waterloo is the most user friendly having undergone a UI redesign."
Was this an attempt to be humorous?

With regards to "obscure HITS bugs", one only needed to play the game once to see them. There was nothing subtle about them.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

We listen to feedback from everyone - we pride ourselves on it.

Yes from the forum, regardless.
Yes from reviewers.
Yes from our partners.

MyGUI cannot go, sorry.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

I am truly amazed that the time and effort was spent in the first place in making a new GUI when other Napoleonic game issues demanded to be addressed and were not.

Napoleonics are much different from American Civil War and some of the issues were not even looked at.

I don't want to be so negative. The team has done a very good job. The combined arms combat was done well. The service is very good. Waterloo is a good game even if when I play it I have to play it with a certain amount of frustration. SOW Gettysburg is much better. Though it took 2 other games to get it to where it is.

I am worried about the direction that decisions are being made.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

no explanation for why we missed obscure HITS bugs.
I am not talking about HITS, lets forget HITS.

I am talking about courier play in MP. Courier play is a key element of Gettysburg's appeal. It's UNIQUE in online RTS gaming. It's a sell-sell-sell feature of the SOW franchise. It's fantastic, brilliant, immersive and fresh. Its a really neat feature.

In Waterloo its broken.

In Waterloo MP if the players communicate by free-text couriers the game is a frustrating mess with messenger boxes opening to wipe out the text message you are typing; pop-up message boxes converting your half-typed text message into game commands (!), messages overwritten by later ones, even while you're reading them! A clunky and slow interface to go back and read old messages... and several other frustrating elements that kill the immersion and joy of the game.

And before anyone suggests to not use the free-text courier system to communicate between players, please let's be honest - why communicate any other way, when commanding your troops by courier, since voice comms or text typed in the chat box kills all the immersion and tension the courier system creates with its delays.

Its this OBVIOUS and HUGE problem with courier MP play that shows the game wasn't tested in this mode.

Can the NSD team get together and play a couriers and courier player-comms game? I know there are several people on the test team - Leffe7, Mitra, Sspoom - who have played dozens if not hundreds of games in this format with Gettysburg - so they will see at once the problem.

How can a game with these glaring problems not have them fixed? I can't understand the decisions the team is making here.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

MyGUI is not going anywhere. It was our solution to localization and it worked very well. It also added a lot of new controls that we really liked. Especially the tree OOB control. It was a lot of work putting it in, but in the end it saved us a lot of time when we added the new features.
Volunteer
Reactions:

Post by Volunteer »

I am talking about courier play in MP. Courier play is a key element of Gettysburg's appeal. It's UNIQUE in online RTS gaming. It's a sell-sell-sell feature of the SOW franchise. It's fantastic, brilliant, immersive and fresh. Its a really neat feature.

In Waterloo its broken.
This +1000 times! When watching the marathon match on the 200 anniversary, the courier system had a unique appeal in what appeared a promising game release which I had buy and play! :)

This game is my first foray into the SoW genre so I am not expert in it like Saddletank and other veterans. However I can readily discern the release remains rough around the edges.

I patiently await an update which will fix the courier system and the awkward conga-line criss-crossing of marching units.

SoW:W is a gem but its brilliance at the moment is unburnished.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

For the first time on record,I have virtually given up and stopped playing a Norbsoftdev Game as I wasn't enjoying it one bit.

This game is just too quirky for words. Over-ambitious and well out of the comfort zone. Get back to ACW just as soon as possible please.

I have been consoling myself meanwhile with the obedient simplicity of TC2R.

Geoff Laver

Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot.
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

MyGUI is not going anywhere. It was our solution to localization and it worked very well. It also added a lot of new controls that we really liked. Especially the tree OOB control. It was a lot of work putting it in, but in the end it saved us a lot of time when we added the new features.
Hi Norb, thank you very much for joining the discussion.

How flexible is MyGUI? What can be done with it? Have your guys explored all its potential yet? Are there any add-on features you might import?

The tragedy is that it's use really makes one of the main selling features of the game (the couriers mode) in MP not worth playing.

I understand how embedded it is within the game but it is a solution that isn't suitable to the game, and especially to the complexity of Napoleonic warfare with all its many different generic formations and formation types that were peculiar to some nation's troops. The limitations of the toolbar are crippling.

For some of your core and most loyal customers the situation is nearly to the point where its not worth us carrying on with this and reverting to Gettysburg.

Can anything be done?

Thanks.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
norb
Reactions:

Post by norb »

Our team is logging all issues in our ticket system and we are working on them. We are very slow right now or I should say I am very slow. But we will release fixes for bugs.