New Player Questions

A multiplayer online persistence game for Scourge of War.
Lead your division from battle to battle where your casualties really
count.
SilverFox
Reactions:

New Player Questions

Post by SilverFox »

I tried the demo, initially had some issues that I solved by running Windows 10 compatibility tester, so I purchased the 150th collection. Currently I am waiting for Matrix Games to send registration email and I sent them a support ticket regarding this.

1) Do I need to wait for my registration in order to get the current update version, or can I just download it with my serial key? I want to make sure that I get the correct update version, but I am itching to start playing.

2) When I begin multiplayer here, I create a character and begin with a regiment, correct? Do I have to choose sides and will I always remain on that side? If so, which side needs more players?

3) I have Teamspeak, but I prefer playing without a mic. Is that ok for this? I have a mic if necessary.

4) Are there a lot of mp battles? My best times will be evenings Eastern Standard Time.

Thanks for any and all information. Looking forward to seeing you on the battlefield.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Re: New Player Questions

Post by Saddletank »

The best MP group to join for ACW battles is the GCM. Its good that you have TS as they use this to plan battles and discuss tactics during them.

http://www.sowmp.com/gcm

In the GCM MP system you create two divisions, one Union, one Confederate and maintain these over the weeks and months, with units gaining experience and maybe losing it again if you get big drafts of replacements. Regiments and batteries come and go. Its a very neat and well-run system, all automated by Garnier, who created the mod. You'll command either of your two divisions randomly in the generated battles and the GCM uses its own maps, so you never get to know the terrain well!

The GCM group plays about every day I think and often more than once a day as their battles are of short duration.

Our group, the KS Group, plays ACW only occasionally now. We mostly play Napoleonic with the new Waterloo game at the moment though we also play with SoW:GB but often one of the mods like Custer's Last Stand or Reisswitz (1860s Europe).

However if you specifically want an ACW game we can arrange one. We usually set Mondays aside for this period.

We also do not use any voice comms in our games, all comms is done by the in-game courier system. We also use the HITS command view (10yds radius from your general). Our games last several hours. Our games and the GCM games are very different and I like to think the two groups complement each other.

http://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/f32-scourge-of-war
Last edited by Saddletank on Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
SilverFox
Reactions:

Post by SilverFox »

Thanks for the info Saddletank. I am still waiting for my registration confirmation email from Matrix. Your group's battles sound like a lot of fun. I will get Waterloo, but I want to play Gettysburg first to make sure that I don't have any computer/connection issues before making that purchase. I'm not anticipating any problems. I am really looking forward to some mp action, these games really look like my cup of tea. Once I am up and running, I could pm you and maybe get in a battle. Thanks again. Glad that there is an active community here.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

It's odd that your e-mail confirming your game key didn't arrive within minutes. I expect its because of the holidays.

It sounds like you might be a person who wants some in-depth campaigning with a map command and battles that have real consequence in a wider context, and if so, then our Napoleonic Peninsular Campaign might be more your thing.

Its been running nearly 3 years now and we've played from June 1808 to March 1809 and have had nearly 30 battles generated by armies colliding on the strategic map which we fight out as MP games using specially created scenarios. Once again, of course, it's Waterloo, but if the idea grabs you, follow the link I gave above for the KS Group, or the one in my sig and follow the forum links to the campaign discussion sub-forum.

There's a thread on the campaign here as well:

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/waterl ... g-refought
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
SilverFox
Reactions:

Post by SilverFox »

Matrix Games replied and I have downloaded the game. For anyone reading this, the 150th anniversary collection is updated and all you have to do is download the game and enter your serial key at installation.

That Waterloo campaign looks pretty sweet Saddletank. It looks like you guys play often at 2000 GMT, I think that is 3p.m. Eastern time (my time). If so, that is generally a little early for me as some days I pick up my grandkids from school.

I am going to run some tutorials, and then jump into some ACW mp and see how it goes. Once I feel comfortable and know how much I enjoy the game, then I may purchase Waterloo. I haven't been this excited for a new game in a while. Feel like a kid at Christmas, lol.
SilverFox
Reactions:

Post by SilverFox »

I forgot to mention that you should make a Matrix Games account when you purchase the game, then download, etc.