Deserting v Routing

Any technical questions for Waterloo go here!
the reb
Reactions:

Re: Deserting v Routing

Post by the reb »

You bet on the cavalry....These lost troops can be sufficient. I recently finished a SandBox Contest which I want to offer some details in another post, but here were my battle statistics.

Entering Battle Troop Strength 69241
Battle Losses 36590
After Battle Troop Strength 12044
Points scored 34350

This could be saying that 20607 Troops Routed or Captured, that's a very high percentage.....28%

the reb....
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Reb

If you use the "k" keyboard button that dumps a spreadsheet showing all casualties by unit and which unit inflicted them. You can then use spreadsheet software to sort by status which will bring all the routed units together. You typically find there are a lot and most (but not all) will have had casualties. It is rare in my games to see units with more than 50% casualties that have not routed. Remember the Allied battalions are typically larger than the French so do not be confused by their apparent ability to absorb higher casualty numbers.

I am currently experimenting with one of my whole day scenarios to see if giving an objective that improves morale will reduce the level of routing. No conclusion yet.

I also want to check out whether it is mainly a percentage of troops becoming casualties that determines the result re routing. I would have thought the French experience and initial high morale should make their ability to absorb casualties before routing percentage higher but I am still a relatively inexperienced user of SOW so it might be my less than perfect use of senior officers that is the issue.

Regards

Mike
Last edited by mcaryf on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

The routing calc is both total percent casualties and the rate over time that the casualties occur. Troops that take 20% casualties in 5 minutes are more likely to rout than the same unit taking the same casualties over 30 minutes. Morale and experience also factor in to the determination.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
the reb
Reactions:

Post by the reb »

Yes Jim, your example of 20% losses in 5 minutes is very indicative of a melee which the AI just loves to do....I believe members asked for an update to reduce the melee action to a more realistic event but that never happened, at least in American Civil War....

thanks,
the reb