Risk of losing GCM... way forward ?

A multiplayer online persistence game for Scourge of War.
Lead your division from battle to battle where your casualties really
count.
johnd5555
Reactions:

Risk of losing GCM... way forward ?

Post by johnd5555 »

With Garnier leaving GCM behind, and the necessity of finding another to carry it forward, what are the odds of this "community" being able to take on this task. Given that it has had difficulty from time to time, even finding $85 a month to cover the server costs, unfortunately, I fear the worst.

The odds stake up in a hurry when one considers the requirements, perhaps some coding knowledge, the time, and the willingness to spend such time, on what, at the end of the day, is a game.

I am sure that between several folks we might find the combination, but the hill is a steep one to climb.
johnd5555
Reactions:

Re: Risk of losing GCM... way forward ?

Post by johnd5555 »

This topic has been moved to Gettysburg forum.... I assume for wider readership... I would advise responding there, as this could be more advantageous
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Everything will work out. A path is opening.
Last edited by KG_Soldier on Mon May 09, 2016 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike1984
Reactions:

Post by mike1984 »

This probably should've happened a while ago. It would only benefit the community to have more clarity in GCM's leadership. As far as what it takes to keep GCM running, it's not too much, considering we do each invest at least an hour of our time to play a single battle. If there is a more defined leader or leadership team on GCM, then collecting operating funds won't be so difficult, as those in charge will be more visible and can keep tabs on the community.

As for the nuts and bolts of the site/mod, unless I'm missing something, everything appears to be operating on a maintenance-only schedule. Garnier stopped actively developing the mod a long time ago, which is fine. But right now it's just a matter of handling the random/unplanned events like crashes, bugs, updates, hosting, etc. That comes with running any site ever. I'm not much of a back-end guy, but I've run plenty of independent sites (mainly self-hosted wordpress) and I do front-end coding (HTML,CSS,Java,etc.) for a living, so I'm experienced enough in this to know what kind of work goes into running a web site.

I don't think there is any need for front-end work on GCM, so my particular set of skills won't help much with keeping GCM operational. But I'm willing to help in any way that I can if it's ever needed.

I wouldn't worry too much MacLeod.