Brigade order behavior of SOW vs TC2

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
Bloody Bill
Reactions:

Brigade order behavior of SOW vs TC2

Post by Bloody Bill »

I was just curious about a few things between the two games.

My first question/observation is this.

In TC2 I as the brigade commander can order my brigade to be in double line and give them an order to advance say 200 yards distant. The brigade will follow the order and stay in the double line formation I ordered them to use. This does not happen in SOW. In SOW they will change into column formation and advance toward the enemy than when they get around 50 yards from the destination spot will change into the originally ordered double line. I don't understand the point in this or why the brigade would do this especially under arty fire. To me it makes no sense as a game design and no sense at all for a tactical decision to do this.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Brigade order behavior of SOW vs TC2

Post by RebBugler »

I remember them being the same, moving in columns from a line then transitioning back to the original line as they approached their destination. Only mods could change this behavior and keep the formation throughout the move. Lost TC2M several computers back so can't test. Still fresh in my mind though as I modded both to have this 'Hold Line' option, which I used a lot.
Last edited by RebBugler on Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Bloody Bill
Reactions:

Post by Bloody Bill »

I remember them being the same, moving in columns from a line then transitioning back to the original line as they approached their destination. Only mods could change this behavior and keep the formation throughout the move. Lost TC2M several computers back so can't test. Still fresh in my mind though as I modded both to have this 'Hold Line' option, which I used a lot.
Nope, playing TC2 right now. Brigades stay in formation but SOW do not. I give a double line formation in TC2 and move them 200 yards they stay in double line and advance on the enemy. same situation in SOW they change from double line into column and march at the enemy and change back around 80 yards away.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Then I stand corrected. TC2M has been off my radar for a long time because of the sowgb modding engine being so far superior. Also, there are some scoring bugs in it that make competitive play laughable. Still, I remember it being great fun to play, just can't take it too seriously for analyzing and comparing historic 'what ifs', at least from a scoring standpoint.
Last edited by RebBugler on Mon Apr 25, 2016 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Bloody Bill
Reactions:

Post by Bloody Bill »

I agree RebBugler. I just noticed some strategic differences since I have been playing a lot of both games this last few weeks. It would of been nice if SOW team would have fixed certain aspects of the game like this that seem important as a maneuver element and immersion into the time.
Martin James
Reactions:

Post by Martin James »

MTG's CouriersAndMaps mod corrects this, and does lots of other fun things too.

You can get that here
http://forum.kriegsspiel.org.uk/t370-se ... piel-style

Martin
Last edited by Martin James on Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bloody Bill
Reactions:

Post by Bloody Bill »

Thanks for the link. This is really nice.
MeiguoJinjang
Reactions:

Post by MeiguoJinjang »

This is nice.

There is no way to make this work for the GB stock scenarios played off the Map Scenario Selector?

Thanks!