SOWG game crashing

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
cliometrician
Reactions:

SOWG game crashing

Post by cliometrician »

A friend of mine has had his SOWG crashing today with this message:

"Scourge of War-Gettysburg has stopped working. A problem caused the program to stop working properly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

It crashed five times when we tried MP tonight. Yesterday he installed Windows 10 and changed the compatibility to Windows 7. Everything worked great for our game last night (he is the host). However, the game continually crashed tonight. I remember seeing a message like that years ago.

Any suggestions??
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
cliometrician
Reactions:

Re: SOWG game crashing

Post by cliometrician »

Problem solved. He had to uninstall Windows 10.
"I may have fought on the side that was wrong, but I fought on the right side." John S. Mosby
Thorgal
Reactions:

Post by Thorgal »

Hi.
I have the same problem.

I played at SOW by GCM 2 years ago with Windows 7 ==> no problem.

I came back at SOW by GCM 1 month ago with Windows 10.

During 3 battles i crashed during the first 30 min.
But when i host with a friend, we could play the entire battle without any pb.
I finally noticed that the main cause of crash was due to a pb of compatibility beetwen the game and Windows 10 so i could fix it. (Right click on the program in your desk, in propriety, change the compatibilty to Windows 7 and it works).

Indeed, before i have fixed the pb, i couldn't launch game by GCM otherwise i had bares and blancks on letters of the game so i launched by "normal" way.

After have fix the pb, i could launch by GCM.

The 3-4 next games past without any pb and i was happy to finish the game.

But for the three last games, i crashed in the 5-10 first min of the game... i don't know why.
Maybe i should uninstall Windows 10 as you cliometrician but the rumor say that it is impossible if you installed Windows 10 for more of one month what is my case.

I hope to come back soon among you and maybe i could do a test before a game to understand where is the real problem.
Last edited by Thorgal on Thu May 26, 2016 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Try also checking 'Executer ce programme en tant qu'administrateur'

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Thorgal
Reactions:

Post by Thorgal »

Yes i dit it too Jim. Thx for your confirmation.

Well the pb is fixed.
Actually i have to verify just before the game if the program will launch with the compatibility of Windows 7 as we can see in the screenshot.
Otherwise, it arrives that the settings are reinitialized after have shut down the computer for example.

Soooo i will be back soon on the game :P
KG_Soldier
Reactions:

Post by KG_Soldier »

Yes, we enjoy having the Frenchman playing with us. But many of us suspect it's not Windows 10 that is his problem; we believe his French computer is programmed to surrender as soon as battle is engaged!

:woohoo:
Thorgal
Reactions:

Post by Thorgal »

Be careful KG_Soldier, if i was a gentlemen of the South, i could demand reparation in a duel :evil:

Fortunately for you, i'm just a poor loser informatic french guy :blush:

Well i'm sure that tonight will be the good day to not crash i want to believe it ! ^^