Thanks to all that served

Here you can talk about whatever floats your boat. Your favorite movie, sports team, etc. If it's a little racey, I suggest you post in R&R, otherwise we'll move it for you.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Thanks to all that served

Post by Little Powell »

Just want to say thank you to all that have served and especially to those that made the ultimate sacrifice.

My grandfather, a Korean war vet, died of cancer a few years ago. He was given a 3-volley salute at his funeral, and buried with his medals, including a purple heart and Bronze Star for acts of heroism. My grandmother was given a folded American flag.

A distant cousin of mine (a Gulf War veteran) attended his funeral. He had no idea that my grandpa was a Bronze Star awardee. He could not hold back his tears.. He said to me "that man is a hero".. I'll never forget that moment..
Last edited by Little Powell on Tue May 31, 2016 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
the reb
Reactions:

Re: Thanks to all that served

Post by the reb »

Thank you Little Powell for saying how we also feel....
Irish Brigade
Reactions:

Post by Irish Brigade »

Thanks for sharing about your grandfather, Little Powell. This 17 year old is very thankful for men like him who served and ultimately laid down their lives so I can live in freedom. My great-grandfather was a veteran of Normandy and landed on Omaha beach. I am fortunate I got to know the man for most of my life. He died in 2014. I still remember his stories about almost drowning before he got on Omaha beach and how he was up against an SS officer who was still trying to fire his weapon even though he was out of ammunition. My grandpa (the son of the aforementioned great grandfather) is a Vietnam veteran and I am extremely thankful for his service. I can't wait for our fishing trip together this summer!

Thank you veterans and those who made the ultimate sacrifice
Flanyboy
Reactions:

Post by Flanyboy »

For those of you who may be interested. About 9 years ago I conducted an interview of my father for the Veterans History project. A project the Library of Congress is running to try and collect veteran's stories and experiences. The interview was for a class while I was a Freshman in college. My father passed away last summer and I had always wanted to share the interview but finally decided to do it and I've started compiling the entire interview (about 2 hours) into some YouTube videos on my channel. The video does have gameplay in the background but the real point is the audio.

Last edited by Flanyboy on Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.