Getting better everyday. But still need help with organizing my lines

Stuck in a part of the game. Here's where the Grogs help the Newbies. Share your best strategies for winning and try someone elses.
longstreetsredemption
Reactions:

Getting better everyday. But still need help with organizing my lines

Post by longstreetsredemption »

Ok, so now I have a good understanding of the game. I've been familiarizing myself with the troops under my command before each battle (I create a matrix and rank the groups). In sandbox games, It's easier for me to keep each corps and his divisions organized. However, playing GB or the other battles, at the start of the battle, everyone is intermixed and disorganized. I know this is a fair reflection of the realities of war, but how do people best organize their battle management when you have no time to set everything up? Do you try to have a tops-down strategy led by the Corps leader or do you utlize a bottoms-up strategy and use smaller groups to dictate different approaches? I'm interested in hearing others on this topic. Thanks
the reb
Reactions:

Re: Getting better everyday. But still need help with organizing my lines

Post by the reb »

I offered this on a similar post. It's all manually, no automation. I also added that on a 10 mile map playing "hunt them down" you sometimes may have 30 minutes before the enemy is sighted, which will be a road.....Protect the roads where you are advancing first....and then organize the remaining troops.

Anyway....

I play mostly Sandbox, that is I play against the AI. I guess there could be a realism argument between playing Courier or not, but I micro manage, which if you feel you enjoy the game this way, you might find this helpful.

In Sandbox, it's a must to micro manage down to Brigade Commander or you will have Regiments that will advance or wander off towards the enemy, and in most cases, you'll see high loses with no gain. I normally begin the battle and advance under Corp Commander Control. If I find ground that I like or know the enemy is approaching (they approach by roads) I then Control down to Division Level. Hopefully having enough time, I then control down to Regiment Level, but leaving my artillery still under Division Level Control. Once the battle lines are drawn, I then control my artillery individually as they can wander off at times.

There may be better ways to control or play the game under Sandbox, but this way makes me happy. I don't think the AI is sending couriers on every move they make...

the reb