Artillery shooting through woods

Any technical questions for Waterloo go here!
Little Powell
Reactions:

Re: Artillery shooting through woods

Post by Little Powell »

We don't play the stock game. I'm sure you can find appropriate terrain and set up the conditions described and make an appropriate save.
I'm sure we can too. But it's common practice (and courtesy) for the bug reporter(s) to submit the save. Thanks.
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

While the KS group would be happy to help debug the game, using the stock version is a non-starter. I suggest NSD download the KS mod so we can proceed from there.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Is a saved game needed to check this?

"check that part of the code and see if the height of intervening objects is coded correctly".

Surely vegetation height is in every map and can be examined to see if its correct.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

It is not the base game.

-Jim
Attachments
Art_test_sm.jpg
Art_test_sm.jpg (73.46 KiB) Viewed 296 times
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Marching Thru Georgia
Reactions:

Post by Marching Thru Georgia »

It is in the base game.
Try moving one of the batteries a few hundred yards away from the woods. Try placing one on a slight rise. Friendly units in front of the guns also do not always stop the guns from shooting.
I can make this march and I will make Georgia howl.
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Did all of that and more. I can get artillery to target units in the woods. Nothing I tried would allow artillery to shoot through the woods to target a unit in the open ground beyond the woods. If it is the base game, send us a save from the base game. I set up the pictured scenario in about 10 minutes with the new scenario editor.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Jim - thanks for helping, it's appreciated. In the problem I had the artillery was just inside the woods NE corner and shooting out of the SW side to an enemy in the open. This was through at least 350-400 yards of woods (not orchard). Your tests don't seem to include that situation.

The "into-woods then out-of-woods" in the same trajectory I can see is doing what it should. The "within-but-shooting-out" situation could be different.
SJDI
Reactions:

Post by SJDI »

Would increasing the tree height give more resistance to Artillery shooting through woods?

What other map settings are included in the artillery LOS calculations?
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Our group plays with mods as you know but yesterday we saw artillery shooting through 400+ yards of dense woods. Our mod does not change the basic logic of the firing through woods issue (its impossible as its hard coded) and we have checked the map to make sure the dense woods have the correct properties.

Something is seriously different in the WL engine vs the last iteration of the GB engine with respect to ranges/penetration effects through woods. In dense woods about 100 yards should be the fire effect range, in open woods/orchards maybe 200 yards.
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Please would someone from NSD tech team take a look at the basic logic/sighting code through woods in the stock game? We are seeing this problem constantly and its become a standing joke in our MP group.

We know this problem did not exist in Gettysburg's later versions, so we strongly suspect some code was not carried over from GB to WL.

We can provide save games but they'd be MP and would use mods, even though we know our mods do not alter the woods sighting properties.

Thanks guys.