Starting units in forts - any help?

A new scenario/battle editor is in development and should be following hot on the heels of Waterloo - any questions can go here.
Ren
Reactions:

Starting units in forts - any help?

Post by Ren »

Hi all,

I've been playing a lot of SOW:W lately and decided to try my hand creating some single player scenarios.

I've successfully recreated waterloo from scratch in order to teach myself the basics and it plays quite well, and am now creating something like a battle from 1812 using the KS mod.

One thing eludes me though: starting units inside forts. I notice on the scenarios for the base game British units start inside Hugomont etc and appear to be simply placed there but no matter what I try in my scenarios the unit is in formation "on" the fort but not placed as a garrison.

Any help or simply pointing me on the right path to figure it out would be greatly appreciated.

I plan to recreate a dozen or so battles and eventually make them available to the community once I've refined the technique somewhat.

Cheers,
Ren
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Starting units in forts - any help?

Post by RebBugler »

Pretty sure scripted movements are the only way to occupy forts for the initial setup. Get the fort coordinates from the map csv file.

And Welcome
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Ren
Reactions:

Post by Ren »

Thanks man, I will have a go. Assume I need to place them very close then move them slightly.

There don't seem to be many user scenarios at all or am I missing something?
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Thanks man, I will have a go. Assume I need to place them very close then move them slightly.

There don't seem to be many user scenarios at all or am I missing something?
Yeah, I assumed you would assume that :P

The only custom scenarios I recall are modifications of the stock scenarios. I'm sure anything that you have to offer will be most welcomed.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Ren, Mitra has released a lot of scenarios designed for MP (IIRC) on the Matrix forums. These use the stock game.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1508

The KS Mod contains many scenarios with it that can be played MP or SP. They don't contain any scripting so you won't see any units start inside forts in any of the KS scenarios. However if you make a fort an objective point and start the AI very near it they will garrison it, even in an MP game without scripting.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Ren
Reactions:

Post by Ren »

Yeah, I assumed you would assume that :P

The only custom scenarios I recall are modifications of the stock scenarios. I'm sure anything that you have to offer will be most welcomed.
I assumed you'd assume that I assumed...haha Ok. Might take me some time to get anything enjoyably playable out, setting up the AI to be on the defensive takes some work (I enjoy grand scale full army battles so that's what I'm making).
Ren, Mitra has released a lot of scenarios designed for MP (IIRC) on the Matrix forums. These use the stock game.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1508

The KS Mod contains many scenarios with it that can be played MP or SP. They don't contain any scripting so you won't see any units start inside forts in any of the KS scenarios. However if you make a fort an objective point and start the AI very near it they will garrison it, even in an MP game without scripting.
Thanks Saddletank, I noticed that actually does happen after a few minutes in one I created now that you mention it. I'll still press on with scripting it because I like to do things the complicated and frustrating way...oops I mean I like things to be polished.

I have had a look at and enjoyed playing the KS scenarios, but I'm shocked that aside from the ones you point out there really aren't too many out there for such a great game. I better get editing then!
Jim
Reactions:

Post by Jim »

Look at the WL16 scenario in the SDK. French units are in the church fortified site at the beginning of the scenario.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
Ren
Reactions:

Post by Ren »

Look at the WL16 scenario in the SDK. French units are in the church fortified site at the beginning of the scenario.

-Jim
Great, thanks Jim that's exceptionally helpful. I realized the fort locations are listed in the tab on the OOB panel, so editing the scenario.csv location field for units to exactly match the fort location co-ordinates looks to be the trick.

Many thanks.