Order Of Battle Editor

He's on the board and he writes tons of useful tools to make modding that much easier.
Garnier
Reactions:

Re: Order Of Battle Editor

Post by Garnier »

@tony

Sounds like you figured out how to use the OOB.

As for sandbox deployment areas -- if your armies are "too big" in sandbox they can overlap like that. I can't fix that. Maybe if you make your OOB have fewer divisions with each division having more men, they will fit along the edges better -- I don't know though.
Play Scourge of War Multiplayer! www.sowmp.com
Also try the singleplayer carryover campaign
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Post by Ingles of the 57th »

Hi Tony

Just out of West Point and want to command an Army already ! What ambition. This boy will go far.

The 10-mile map is really the only practical one to use for big OOB's and prevent overlapping.

But I find I have to reduce all of the graphics quality parameters, AI cycle frequency etc when doing this even with a good graphics card. Else the AI gets overwhelmed, fails to cope and some functions just drop out completely. One of the bizarre results is that the armies can appear to be firing at each other without actually inflicting a single casualty. Humane warfare indeed.

We are all pushing the game to its absolute limits and we are all just lucky Norb made it so resilient.

It won't really be solved until the game finally commits to 64-bit memory labeling , opening up the possibility of buckets more RAM and better 3-D sprites. This probably won't happen though until MICROSOFT itself abandons 32-bit for WINDOWS. I can't see this happening soon as MICROSOFT seems to be currently dumbing down WINDOWS to cater for these tablets and similar monstrosities.

In the meantime though Norb has to cater for the whole range of users, including enthusiastic beginners with entry-level kits. I don't think even Matrix will support two versions of the game ........ a 32-bit and a 64-bit .... desirable though it might be for the top-enders.

Keep up the good work, Tony. Let's see lots of posts from you.

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot.
"Die hard, my men. Die hard the 57th."
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
tony luke
Reactions:

Post by tony luke »

Aye, I suppose 30 years in the Australian Army, and being a wargamer for 40 years helps a bit!

Ingles, if I may ask, which map or maps are the larger 10 mile one(s) you mentioned above?

Gentlemen, thank you all for your feedback and support. Have a good weekend.

Regards,

AKL
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

AI cycle frequency etc when doing this even with a good graphics card. Else the AI gets overwhelmed, fails to cope and some functions just drop out completely. One of the bizarre results is that the armies can appear to be firing at each other without actually inflicting a single casualty.
This will happen if there are too many units on the map and the game just doesn't have time to calculate all of them in a given cycle.

Basically, if I'm understanding this correctly, the game will calculate each unit that is on the map and assign it a certain value, whether that value means to march or fire a weapon. When there are too many units, the game will not calculate all of the units in that cycle.

You can change the AI Cycle by editing the SOWGB.ini file that is located in the Work\folder to increase the default cycle. This will slow down the game a little bit.

Example - Placed at the very bottom of the file.

[DEBUG]
DbgLvl=1
aicount=75
;AlphaOmega=1

I can't remember what the default value is, but I think that it is around 35-40 AI Cycles.

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Hi Tony, :silly: The icon seemed apt.

Good on yer mate. I'm sure you've got a few good yarns to tell. The Australian Army has been in a few interesting places here and there during your tenure.

This is the link for the download of the ten mile map mod.
http://www.norbsoftware.com/NSDTeam/Map ... eMapV1.exe

There is also a version 2 available with a bit more detail. It's a bit like playing on the Russian Steppes. Takes ages to march from A to B but it does give a insight of real life timescales.

Let's look forward to the day when we can run the Australian Light Horse in Allenby's Palestinian Campaign. The modders are really stretching all the boundaries these days .... it might yet come.

For a list of all the available SOWGB mods with downloading go to http://www.justallinone.com/

Best regards,

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot.
Last words of Col Ingles commanding His Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot at Albuhera 1811

Marshal Beresford wrote in his despatch "Our dead, particularly the 57th Regiment,were lying as they fought in the ranks, every wound in front"
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Hi Tony Luke,

Just curious to know whether you managed to get the large map loaded down and some of the other mods ?

Geoff Laver Late of Her Britannic Majesty's 57th Regiment of Foot

tony luke
Reactions:

Post by tony luke »

Hi Geoff,

Apologies for the tardy reply, and thank you for the info and support. Have been a bit busy this week and have not yet tried the larger map, hope to give it a thrash this weekend. Do you recommend the version 2 or the link that you sent (or are they both at that location?).

Aye, being a cavalryman myself I would dearly like to see a WWI desert campaign! Though I have never worked with the 57th Regt of Foot I have had the pleasure (real) of spending many months in Iraq with the Brits running Sector Security (J7) for the Multi-National Division SE (Royal Marines and 7 Armd Bde through most of my tenure). Also had the dubious pleasure of spending a few months with the Blues and Royals as well .... very different bunch, but no offence intended; just worlds apart ..... Will keep in touch.

Regards,

AKL
Last edited by tony luke on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ingles of the 57th
Reactions:

Hi Tony.

I'll switch to a Private Message so we don't clog up the topic on the forum board too much.

Geoff Laver

1ongstreet
Reactions:

Post by 1ongstreet »

Thanks a ton for this Garnier, I'm just getting familiar with using it now and it works great!
noonanda
Reactions:

Post by noonanda »

Gentlemen,
Necropost, but I am trying to use the TC2M -> SOW Converter on this mod and it keeps giving me a "error converting (insert TC2M OOB). Did this function never get fleshed out/finished?
Amateur Relic Hunter, History Nut, Retired US Marine