Rye Field Experimenting

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Davinci
Reactions:

Rye Field Experimenting

Post by Davinci »

@Saddletank:

Here are a few pictures of the field that you posted a picture of.

A very quick edit, I haven't done the top or the sides of the Graphic so they will appear in a sort of blocked-state in the pictures.

Question - These are not the standard in the States, correct, more of a Europe standard?
The attachment 2_2017-09-04.jpg is no longer available
EDIT:
Didn't really have to edit the sides of the Graphic - it created a sort of walked-through-effect by leaving them as they were.
The attachment 3_2017-09-04.jpg is no longer available
davinci
Attachments
3_2017-09-04.jpg
3_2017-09-04.jpg (328.1 KiB) Viewed 173 times
2_2017-09-04.jpg
2_2017-09-04.jpg (319.15 KiB) Viewed 173 times
Last edited by Davinci on Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
JC Edwards
Reactions:

Re: Rye Field Experimenting

Post by JC Edwards »

On rye .... add tomato .... hold the mayo! :laugh:
'The path that is not seen, nor hidden, should always be flanked'
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

DaVinci - the second picture looks excellent. Nice work. I always disliked the crop sprites with the vertical sides, I think all vegetation sprites look better with sloped or alpha faded sides. Colour looks good. Rye was possibly taller than wheat, at least I know it was (and is) in Europe because its used for thatching. I get the impression that in the US roofs were most often covered with wooden shingles because, well, you guys had a lot of trees out there you needed to cut down before you could start farming.

So whether US crops of rye in the mid 1800s were taller than, shorter than, or about the same height as wheat I can't comment. We need an agricultural historian!

EDIT: Having said all that, wheat and rye are from the exact same family of plants and really look identical at the distances we'd see them in our game. Making two different sprites would be something like making separate sprites for daisies and snowdrops. Modern wheat is much shorter that rye but that's due to modifications man has made to make the crop more efficient so it wastes less energy growing a tall stalk before it spends energy growing the seeds. Napoleonic wheat was very tall, frequently at 6 feet or a bit more.
Last edited by Saddletank on Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

DaVinci - the second picture looks excellent. Nice work. I always disliked the crop sprites with the vertical sides, I think all vegetation sprites look better with sloped or alpha faded sides. Colour looks good. Rye was possibly taller than wheat.
@Saddletank - Thanks, here are the Sprites if you would like to play around with them.

The sides are vertical which seems to cause the walked-through-effect.

They are taller than the men so they seem to hide them very well.

The image that you posted was at a slight angle, so I had to rotate it a few degrees, this sometimes causes the image to lose a little bit of quality, so it slightly blurs it.

The file below has two images, one is green-yellow the default image, the other one is slightly brownish-green-yellow. Also added the ( gfx ) file.

Not a Complete Mod - only files.

davinci
Attachments
RyeField.rar
(293.83 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!