Fences

Let's talk about Gettysburg! Put your questions and comments here.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Fences

Post by BOSTON »

After watching that GB program on the Military Channel last night I want to blow up every fence I see. Might there be a way of directing artillery to pound fences to pieces? or to have sappers, engineers to destroy fences in advance of a charge?

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Jim
Reactions:

Re:Fences

Post by Jim »

That ability will not be in game as it did not happen historically. I should warn you that the historical accuracy of that program is fairly low. It is getting crucified on the Gettysburg Discussion Group.

-Jim
"My God, if we've not got a cool brain and a big one too, to manage this affair, the nation is ruined forever." Unknown private, 14th Vermont, 2 July 1863
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Jim wrote:
That ability will not be in game as it did not happen historically. I should warn you that the historical accuracy of that program is fairly low. It is getting crucified on the Gettysburg Discussion Group.

-Jim
I'll have to go check it out if I can find it.

HM4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
Amish John
Reactions:

Post by Amish John »

On the subject of taking down fences, the use of artillery to clear fences might be stretching it a bit, but as was said below it was done by either engineers or other troops in advance of the main bodies, especially as they advanced in column. I believe this was done in advance of the 1st Corps troops on the first day as they turned off the Emmittsburg Road near the Cordori farm and started across fields towards the Seminary. Maybe some future revision of the game could have that ability.
Last edited by Amish John on Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can get farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
BOSTON
Reactions:

Post by BOSTON »

Amish John wrote:
On the subject of taking down fences, the use of artillery to clear fences might be stretching it a bit, but as was said below it was done by either engineers or other troops in advance of the main bodies, especially as they advanced in column. I believe this was done in advance of the 1st Corps troops on the first day as they turned off the Emmittsburg Road near the Cordori farm and started across fields towards the Seminary. Maybe some future revision of the game could have that ability.
AJ

My rave was part wishful thinking (artillery) and part hopeing an element like what you mention could be in the game for a number of uses. As to who would have the ability for such tasks would be another issue to discuss. In the end I'll have to accept whatever is in the game. sssh-good thinking on revision. :)

Hoistingman4
HOISTINGMAN4

Drafted in Boston
MarkT
Reactions:

Post by MarkT »

Sappers are what the "engineers" are called. at Gettysburg, part of Reynolds staff cleared the way for Wadsworth...
Mark S. Tewes