Antietam Terrain Mod

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
RDBoles
Reactions:

Re: Antietam Terrain Mod

Post by RDBoles »

Incredible Beauty, this is truly a work of art.
Move Forward
Chichetr
Reactions:

Post by Chichetr »

Jolly!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Cannot wait to get my hands on the new updated map! Those screenies are stunning!
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Thanks Chichetr, another screen as I'm testing all the Ant maps.
Getting close now!

The attachment Untitled-9.jpg is no longer available
David(jolly)
Attachments
Untitled-9.jpg
Untitled-9.jpg (379.7 KiB) Viewed 167 times
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

It's all just about there on all four maps now.

The attachment Final.jpg is no longer available
It's just down now to some conflict issues with some csv files.

David(jolly)
Attachments
Final.jpg
Final.jpg (424.96 KiB) Viewed 167 times
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

I'm a bit stuck at the moment. I originally made the decision to utilise the Terrain_Effects.dds from Chickamauga, and the CV_1.dds, CV_2.dds from Chancellorsville 'templates' for this mod, which cause unfortunate anomilies on the maps - eg trees on roads/areas, no building fire etc.

I wonder if any one could help regarding any possible csv entry fixes?
I can send the files needed.

Cheers

David(jolly)
Last edited by Jolly on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

"Jolly" - It sounds like the problem could be with the "mapname.csv" file that is causing the problems.

I don't think that it really matters what files you choose to use from different mods, the only file that can tell them where to put anything is the "mapname.csv" file.

As you know, a lot of the maps will use the same grey-scale codes in the "mapname.csv" file, such as Light Woods = 35, Heavy Woods = 45, etc...

Check to make sure that the colors that you are using are correct. Tree"s appearing on the roads can be a result of listing ( Trees ) in the mapname.csv under "Open".

Tree's appearing on the roads can also be due to putting roads and woods too close together in the "mapname.bmp" file.

Hope this Helps!

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

That last comment is especially helpful. I think an area defined in the greyscale as woods will have a certain "fade out" zone against whatever area its adjacent to. I presume this is to stop a hard plantation-like edge appearing at the edges of woodland, but if you have a road too close, these "outlying" tree sprites can then appear on the road greyscale.

The same happens with scrub and brush greyscales - I often get dense weeds growing along my trails!

As DaV suggests, move the woodland greyscale border further away from the road edge.

I am not sure about the fire sprite. Is it showing but just out of position? Or is it not showing at all? I assume you've done the obvious things like ensuring its co-ords are identical to the files you're drawing from and the building model that is supposed to be burning is also in an identical location? ... and that the fire sprite is being called correctly from the graphics file?
Last edited by Saddletank on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Thanks for the really valid pointers chaps, I can't get this sorted though.
It seems that the data in the CVEAST.CSV, when renamed to ANT_1.CSV causes the problems as described.

Lot's of different entries, which I can't figure out how to make work correctly for the Ant maps.
It's a pity, but I think I'll have to re-design things, using the Ant Terrain_Effects dds template instead of the two Chancellorsville ones.

Back to the drawing board - the LSL files are still good though, just the trees/terrain to redo.

Cheers

David(jolly)
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

It seems that the data in the CVEAST.CSV, when renamed to ANT_1.CSV causes the problems as described.
The problem is that the files are "NOT" using the same values.

Example:
CVEast
110 DirtRoad
120 SunkenRoad
130 RR

Ant1
110 DirtRoad
120 TurnPike
130 SunkenRoad

This is just a few of the different values that "Will Not Match" the mapname.bmp file. This is why certain objects will appear in the wrong locations.
Ant Terrain_Effects dds template instead of the two Chancellorsville ones.
This file has a "PList" file that goes along with it, therefore changing the name will probably not work unless you also change the names in the "PList" file also.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

All may not be lost then!

So, is there a chance of making a working ANT_1.CSV file for this?
The Terrain_Effects.dds is from the Chickamauga mod and just utilises the wall/fires/smoke etc textures, not the trees/grass sprites, which are pulled from the CV1.DDS and CV2.DDS texture files.

Thanks again Davinci, I bow to your knowledge on this.
Last edited by Jolly on Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.