Antietam Terrain Mod

This is where our experts try to teach you the very flexible modding system for our previous release - SOW Gettysburg and its add-ons. It's powerful, but dangerous. Post your tips and your questions.
Davinci
Reactions:

Re: Antietam Terrain Mod

Post by Davinci »

Not Sure - But check this post from several years ago.

http://www.norbsoftdev.net/forum/scenar ... e-wont-run

davinci
The only true logic is that, there is no true logic!
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

It could be something to do with the site hosts?

Things are progressing though, got the T values looking ok, and progress with the trees.

David
Last edited by Jolly on Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Rounding things up now ...

The attachment Untitled-1_2018-01-25.jpg is no longer available

Getting really close!

David(jolly)
Attachments
Untitled-1_2018-01-25.jpg
Untitled-1_2018-01-25.jpg (329.27 KiB) Viewed 197 times
Saddletank
Reactions:

Post by Saddletank »

Looking good. We need someone to redo the zig-zag fencing texture though - the alpha channel layer isn't quite right.
HITS & Couriers - a different and realistic way to play SoW MP.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Yep, the alpha is slighty overlapping the texture, same for the spiky fences.

Not to hard to fix if you can access/extract the 3d texture mapping graphics files.
Textures for the buildings etc could be tweaked also.

The technical side is slowing things down with a few annoying problems - still getting some trees on roads, but also I have to disable the Chickamauga and Chancellorsville mods, otherwise they override the 'terrain' dds files in this Ant mod, even though they are less prioritised in order.

Bugles & Flags works fine.
Last edited by Jolly on Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

Still getting some trees on roads.
"Jolly" - One way to figure out which line is causing the tree problem is to "Copy" the "mapname.csv" to the Desktop.
Then - Delete all of the tree entries in the "mapname.csv" file. Only Columns [ M -thru- Q].
Start Game - check to make sure that no trees are in the road area. Exit Game.

Open the "mapname.csv" from the Desktop - Copy a "Whole Line" that has the trees - Columns [ M -thru- Q] - "CLOSE" that file, and Open the "mapname.csv" in the Maps \ Folder - Copy - but only place them on "ONE" line.

Start Game - Check Roads.

You are probably going to have to repeat this until you figure out which line is causing the problem.

It's a slow process, but it works.

EDIT Post - Actually, there might be another way that is very simple.
Edit the "mapname.csv" file to only use the same trees on each of the tree entries.

In this example you are only going to use "Four" different trees to help identify which line is causing the problem.

Also - delete the trees from the Marsh, Riverbank, and Open - until the problem is solved.

IDS_MAP_Light_Woods - Use a Single tree for all entries - Columns [ M - thru - Q]
IDS_MAP_Light_Woods - Use a Single tree for all entries - Columns [ M - thru - Q]
IDS_MAP_Woods - Use a Single tree for all entries - Columns [ M - thru - Q]
IDS_MAP_Heavy_Woods - Use a Single tree for all entries - Columns [ M - thru - Q]

You are probably going to have to repeat starting the game multiple times, since the game loads the tree graphics in a different location each time.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Thanks Davinci. I know what you are getting at here.
Problem is that this would reduce the amount of trees/bushes in the map, therefore reducing the percentage amount of them appearing on the roads. Also it looses some of the ambience over the map.

I need to keep the trees etc, but find a way of keeping them off the roads (alongside looks fine)!

David(jolly)
Last edited by Jolly on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Davinci
Reactions:

Post by Davinci »

I need to keep the trees etc, but find a way of keeping them off the roads (alongside looks fine)!
Understood!
The only other way that I know of would be to "Edit" the "mapname.bmp" file and either create a wider shoulder on the road-system, or edit all of the trees near the road.

Editing all of the trees on a large map is quite time-consuming considering that most of the newer maps use multiple greyscale colors per woods.

Question - Did the Original Map suffer the same problem?

If the answer is "Yes" - OK.
If the answer is "No" - then what did you do that is different, or causing the problem.

davinci
Last edited by Davinci on Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crikey
Reactions:

Post by Crikey »

J

Sorry if suggesting what you already know, and am happy to take a look if you wish. Just pm me a DL link.

Roads and tracks usually have 2 greyscale values. Check the mapname.csv to make sure you haven't accidentally applied tree sprites to one of these when copying over the Chancellorsville entries.

If it's more to do with your new trees being bigger and therefore encroaching on the roads, then say and I'll suggest some potential fixes.

B)
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

The tree are always erratic each time you load the same senario, so you never know what you will get, as in this pic -

The attachment tmp.jpg is no longer available
just need them off the bloody roads!

I'll try the 'mapname.bmp' approach that you mention Davinci and see what happens!

The original Ant maps are fine for this. They use different files, which is why I'm getting problems now of course, after originally deciding to work with the Chancellorsville DDS terrain sheets and the latest Terrain_Effects.dds sheet.

I did try editing and removing some trees from the csv Crikey, but I got some anomiles (sprites suddenly disappearing/appearing), plus the map was looking more sparce, lacking the extra trees/shrubs.

I don't think its anything to do with the tree scale (bigger).

Another real annoyance is that the Chickamauga and Chancellorsville DDS graphics override this mod, no matter that they are below in the prority list.
I can't figure out any reason for this to happen, but it does.

Thanks for your continued advice and suggestions guys. :)

David(jolly)
Attachments
tmp.jpg
tmp.jpg (128.72 KiB) Viewed 197 times
Last edited by Jolly on Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.