Historic Waterloo as Napoleon scenario plus associated Artillery mod

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Re: Historic Waterloo as Napoleon scenario plus associated Artillery mod

Post by DarkRob »

I agree with Rob that it is normally possible to hold off the standard AI player but I do script some additional tactics and you played with my artillery mod which increases canister range so the AI guns can be more effective even though it still does not push its guns as far forward as a good human player would.
I haven't ever tried your artillery mod, but question? Does this mod only increase the canister range for the allies? Or the French as well?

If only for the allies, well yea, that would take some careful work in order to force the Prussian guns to deploy far enough away to be rendered harmless, but still close enough so that they have targets to shoot at so they don't try to move forward again. It could be done though by simply advancing your interception force further forward of your main lines in order to attack the Prussians on the march and force their artillery to turn around while still to far away from your main lines for canister. The trick is to make sure that when they turn around and unlimber they still are close enough to have targets to shoot at along your main line, just not in canister range, which would be tricky because of all the woods around where the Prussians are coming from.

If the French have these increased canister ranges to, well then that makes things all the more easier for the player, as he can still force the Prussian guns to turn around at the beginning, but now he has all these Fortress's armed with super cannon that can shred the Prussians to pieces all over the field out to whatever it is, 700 yards? 800 yards? I forget the exact distances you gave. I can just imagine the massacre. Actually, it sounds like a lot of fun. I might have to try it.

PS: Also Im curious about these additional tactics you've scripted. What do they do? Have you found a way to give the AI the tools it needs to break down a fortress? Being able to bring its artillery forward even after its unlimbered and already shooting would seem to be a necessary first step.

The standard AI doesn't move its guns once they've unlimbered and started shooting so long as they continue to have targets from their current position. I use this to my advantage by forcing the guns to turn around at the beginning while still limbered so they aren't a real threat, but not running them off so far that they don't have any viable targets from where they've withdrawn to, otherwise the guns would again come forward. By doing this I insure the AI artillery is a non-factor and the only thing the AI has to try and attack a fortress is Infantry and cavalry, which of course wont get the job done.

The first step in breaking down a Fortress would be to give the AI the ability to order its guns forward even after Ive already forced them to turn around and unlimber further back. Then the game would get very interesting indeed.
Last edited by DarkRob on Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jean Lafitte
Reactions:

Post by Jean Lafitte »

Hi Jean
I think what you have put in your last post is the scenario.csv file. what I wanted was the database file that has the casualty reports. You can get that either via the end screen when you stop the scenario and select statistics and then scenario database or during play you can press the "K" key. You will find this file written into the same directory as where you can find the scenario folder. it has a name that looks like this sowWLgamedb-02-07-18_17-17-37.csv where the first set of numbers is the date and the second set the time. It gives you lists of the casualties suffered by each unit and which units inflicted them as well as the end status of the unit e.g. routed, engaged etc. It would be better for me if you could attach the file rather than post the file's content but do whatever is easier for you.
Mike
The latest saved file that I still have from that scenario is from 1437 hours, which is before the scheduled time for the Prussian reinforcements. Will this K file help us? If not, let me know and I'll continue play from the 1437 hours point and then send the K file to you from a later time. What time should I stop play and send the K file to you in that case?

I want to help with this. I don't know how I missed your post from 3 days ago. I was checking this thread every day for further instructions. I do regret that my efforts have not yet been fruitful. Thanks very much.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Jean

I do not really understand why the Prussians do not seem to have appeared so ideally I would like a save file from after the latest I would have expected them to start to appear which is 4.45 pm.

Do you use autosave? If you had previously played until 9pm would there not be some of those saves available to reload and then just press K.

How did you find the artillery mod played for you. Did you lose men to long range British fire?

Regards

Mike
Jean Lafitte
Reactions:

Post by Jean Lafitte »

Hi Jean

I do not really understand why the Prussians do not seem to have appeared so ideally I would like a save file from after the latest I would have expected them to start to appear which is 4.45 pm.

Do you use autosave? If you had previously played until 9pm would there not be some of those saves available to reload and then just press K.

How did you find the artillery mod played for you. Did you lose men to long range British fire?

Regards

Mike
Yes, I believe that there were significant casualties, particularly to cavalry, from long range British fire. I also suspect that the French artillery is also made stronger by your Arty Mod.

Your Cavalry mod seems to be working and an improvement.

Unfortunately, I was trying to learn more about the "Square, Arty, Square" Division formation and how to use it, and so some of the autosaves are used up by the more recent testing I did with the No Warning scenario. The 1437 hours file is the latest one from your scenario.

I will play along more from the 1437 hours point. At what hour do you recommend I conclude my continued play and send the K file to you? Thanks.
Last edited by Jean Lafitte on Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Jean

It might be best if you started from the beginning again as that would reset the random events which are all fired at 11.30 and then delayed by timers.

If you prefer to restart your save you could either play it or just let it run by itself and then hit the K key at
5pm.

Regards

Mike
Jean Lafitte
Reactions:

Post by Jean Lafitte »

I'll play this one up to 5pm so that you can have a look at the data for this episode in which none of the Prussians appeared.

At some time soon, I'll try the whole thing once again.
Jean Lafitte
Reactions:

Post by Jean Lafitte »

Hi Jean

It might be best if you started from the beginning again as that would reset the random events which are all fired at 11.30 and then delayed by timers.
It didn't work like that, Mike. I started again at 1437 hours and, first Exelman's Corps appears. Then the Prussians appear. Now you cannot be correct about all of the random events being "fired" at 11:30 because this game I'm playing is the exact same one where no new units at all appeared as of 9pm.

All I did was play the same game by returning to the 1437 hours mark, and, new units appear that didn't before, so, these random events do not all fire at 1130 hours. They must be firing at a later hour.

Here's the K File
Last edited by Jean Lafitte on Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hook
Reactions:

Post by Hook »

The random events are set at 11:30. Any game restarted from a save after 11:30 will already have the random events set.
Jean Lafitte
Reactions:

Post by Jean Lafitte »

The random events are set at 11:30. Any game restarted from a save after 11:30 will already have the random events set.
That's what I'm saying, Hook, the random events may have been set at 1130 hours when I played the game to 2100 hours. But, when I went to a save of that game at the 1437 hours mark and played a few hours, Prussians and Exelmans appeared near 1700 hours! Remember that in the original play-through, no extra units appeared at all.
mcaryf
Reactions:

Post by mcaryf »

Hi Jean

It is very strange as one from the four Prussian variants is always selected by the game engine at 11.30 am although the actual arrivals start between 4 and 5 pm. For Grouchy's forces typically there are 2 or 3 variants whereby each Corps will appear and one or two whereby they will not. Again each variant is selected at 11.30 am for implementation in the early evening.

The Prussian units all have commands that will send them to attack towards either Plancenoit, Papelotte or Wellington's left flank. Thus they should be noticeable. If there was a mix up with the OOB file for the Prussians or some such in your mods you would get some sort of error message or the game might crash.

In any event if you now have a situation where the Prussians have appeared you can see how you get on. Did you note what time they actually did appear?

I would still be interested in seeing the game database to see what impact the artillery mod is having on your casualties.

Regards

Mike