Civil war 2 by Ageod

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
born2see
Reactions:

Re: Civil war 2 by Ageod

Post by born2see »

Thanks SD!

B
"Those in whose judgment I rely, tell me that I fought the battle splendidly and that it was a masterpiece of art.” - George McClellan to his wife describing the battle of Antietam
Stellar Duck
Reactions:

Post by Stellar Duck »

Thanks SD!

B
Any time mate!

If you got any questions I'll be happy to try an answer them to the best of my ability.

Until you and your opponent get the rhythm down, make sure to double check that both sets of orders were resolved. That's especially important if you also have the issue of one game using the ~ instead of the -. It doesn't parse it if there is a mismatch.
Snatching Defeat from the jaws of Victory since 1982
stonewalljackson
Reactions:

Post by stonewalljackson »

Just in case anyone was curious, stonewalljackson and I had a splendid war.

Three months of back and forth!

If anyone is on the fence I can heartily recommend this game for a bit of adversarial play.

Spoilers: the Union won a magnificent victory and Sherman sieged Richmond while Grant and Thomas out flanked Johnston all through TN and GA.

I'm sure my opponent will agree that it was touch and go and the fortunes of war seemed to shift. Ultimately, I think I proved that manoeuvre warfare can win the day. Knoxville, Memphis and Atlanta all fell to Grant and Thomas cutting the supply and forcing the defenders to move out and face me on my terms instead of behind their defences in the cities. Never let go of initiative!

I would agree with the above. I was unprepared for the end game in the war and was outmaneuvered all though Tenn. It was, i think, a learning exsperance for the both of us. It was a great game and won by stellar fairly. I thought it interesting that our war ended about the same time as the real civil war.
"How do you like this are coming back into the union"
Confederate solider to Pennsylvanian citizen before Gettysburg

"No way sherman will go to hell, he would outflank the devil and get past havens guard"
southern solider about northern general sherman

"Angels went to receive his body from his grave but he was not there, they left very disappointed but upon return to haven, found he had outflanked them and was already there".
northern newspaper about the death of stonewall jackson
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

i'm hoping to get into this finally (have watched a few hours of tutorial) and PBEM with born2see - but something ive seen mentioned on forums is that when one person hosts, the other never gets to see any of the turns resolve, just gets a log file i think, if that.

How did you guys get around this? Would be a bit dull for the 2nd player?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

i'm hoping to get into this finally (have watched a few hours of tutorial) and PBEM with born2see - but something ive seen mentioned on forums is that when one person hosts, the other never gets to see any of the turns resolve, just gets a log file i think, if that.

How did you guys get around this? Would be a bit dull for the 2nd player?
It's been a while since I've done a PBEM, but if I recall there was a way to watch a replay of the previous turn.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Yeh i saw someone mention them in the discussion at that link, but they were not too fond of them, you could only access them through the command line or something?
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

Yeh i saw someone mention them in the discussion at that link, but they were not too fond of them, you could only access them through the command line or something?
I'll have to load the game again and check. Thought there was a button in-game.

The PBEM system in Civil War 2 works great but it's not very user friendly. Having to manually zip and email the files is archaic, especially when Matrix offers great PBEM support for their other titles. It's all automated in games like Pike & Shot etc.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

can't help thinking a shared folder on dropbox might be a runner

i wonder have they improved it for the Wars of Napoleon or the Wars of Succession one they released recently
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

can't help thinking a shared folder on dropbox might be a runner

i wonder have they improved it for the Wars of Napoleon or the Wars of Succession one they released recently
Yeah forgot about dropbox. That makes it much easier. And it has version control incase something gets hosed.

I don't think they did anything different for WON or WOS.