Game won't start

Game won't run. Keeps crashing. Hopefully we won't get any posts here, but if we do, we'll try to help you out. You can also post any bugs that you find here. IMPORTANT: Don't post mod related problems here!
IronBMike
Reactions:

Re: Game won't start

Post by IronBMike »

Nope it's a fresh Windows 7 install.
I saw from another post that you know to start with a CLEAN install. Other than that, a new download from Matrix with a fresh install should do it. If that doesn't work, like others said in previous posts, its gotta be an antivirus app interfering with the install, or a Directx 9 issue.
Yeah it's a completely new folder I made separately. Does the folder path have anything to do with it?

I use DX11, if that matters.
CWGII -> SMG -> SMA -> WNLB -> ANGV -> TC -> TC2M -> SOW
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Nope it's a fresh Windows 7 install.
I saw from another post that you know to start with a CLEAN install. Other than that, a new download from Matrix with a fresh install should do it. If that doesn't work, like others said in previous posts, its gotta be an antivirus app interfering with the install, or a Directx 9 issue.
Yeah it's a completely new folder I made separately. Does the folder path have anything to do with it?

I use DX11, if that matters.
Don't know if that extra folder is an issue but I wouldn't do that. My version is installed directly on the C Drive, along with Program Files, Documents, etc. DX11 should work fine.

I've got one last idea, rename the Music folder found in the Base folder. Some computers have been known to crash when opening the game because of incompatible audio drivers.

One more thing, next time you try to open the game and it crashes go in the SOWGB/Work folder and find the SOWGB.log file...Attach it here.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Jolly
Reactions:

Post by Jolly »

Just to try and help a little, I don't think it's anything to do with installing the game into a new folder of your making.
The installation proceedure gives you the option to install wherever you prefer. The defaults are there to make things a bit easier if you just want to click away and are not too bothered where it goes as long as you can play the game, which is fair enough.

The log file (SowGB.log) goes a long way into finding the culprit, usually right at the end of the file indicating an error as to why the game has crashed.

Don't get bogged down with all the tech - running around in circles - it's usually something more simple than that!

David(jolly)
Last edited by Jolly on Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.