New Wargame in Development: 'General Staff'

We're gamers, so here is a good place to discuss other games you are playing or are curious about.
exp101
Reactions:

Post by exp101 »

The author/designer of "General Staff" has been posting some over on the KS forums about the upcoming release of this game scheduled for later this year. The concept is interesting in the extremes it goes to in putting players directly in the role of an army's leader as he makes decisions and issues orders by courier with (always) the limited information on hand -- very much a FoW situation. While it's clearly more akin to the KS/HITS style than GCM, it may be worth a look. http://general-staff.com/

A couple of elements that caught my attention:
-The designer, D. Ezra Sidran, PhD, is a computer scientist who has been authoring wargames since the 1980's;
-The intent is to create a general structure that may be applied to just about any conflict 19th Century and before (i.e., not just Napoleonics or American Civil War). It does look, however, like these two periods will grab a lot of attention in early scenario design. For instance, the Peninsula Campaign is getting quite a bit of attention;
-Map styles are quite unique and appealing. Very much like those actual commanders would work from.

Here's where Dr. Sidran seems to be posting his game development updates over on the KS forum:
http://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t1816 ... ment#21006
Last edited by exp101 on Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Ezra Sidran
Reactions:

Post by Dr Ezra Sidran »

I just wanted to introduce myself. I also have a copy of Waterloo, Scourge of War on my desk!

If you're interested in my new game you can read more at the development blog: Image.
NY Cavalry
Reactions:

Post by NY Cavalry »

I do like the type of game that is being developed. To gain the largest audience possible is to give lots of options. There will be hard core players who will love this approach, but others will most likely prefer less FOW.

I am interested for sure. Will there be a way to fight the actual battles using SOW Waterloo or some other medium? Will there be an editor?

I'd like see more of a description of just how the game plays.
Last edited by NY Cavalry on Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

It seems really cool and I'll definitely be checking it out. I'm moving this to the 'other games' section where it might get more notice rather than hiding in the GCM section.
Last edited by con20or on Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exp101
Reactions:

Re: New Wargame in Development: 'General Staff'

Post by exp101 »

Dr. Sidran has posted some materials on Fog of War modeling on the General Staff site.
http://general-staff.com/the-fog-of-war/

...which has started an interesting discussion of same over on the KS HITS forums...
http://kriegsspiel.forumotion.net/t1822 ... taff#21173
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

I just wanted to introduce myself. I also have a copy of Waterloo, Scourge of War on my desk!

If you're interested in my new game you can read more at the development blog: Image.
This game looks very interesting. Best of luck, Dr Sidran, I'm keeping an eye on this one for sure.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

Is anyone backing this on kickstarter?

Sounds great to me and I followed the pitch - but unless I misunderstood the rewards you had to pledge alot just to get a copy of the game - which put me off.
con20or
Reactions:

Post by con20or »

I've been following this from a distance - still don;t understand what the game is like though. All of the updates are things like the OOB editor or map editor. Not wanting to crap on a great project - but at least show some example of what the game is like first or else why would we want to edit the OOB or map!?

Have I missed something?
Last edited by con20or on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.