Volley fire sound file?

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
radioman
Reactions:

Volley fire sound file?

Post by radioman »

I've noticed the volley fire has either no sound playing or it's so quiet that I want to replace it with something louder sound. So, what's the file attached to the volley shot in the sound files??
RebBugler
Reactions:

Re: Volley fire sound file?

Post by RebBugler »

There is no sound file attached to the volley shot. After the game was released as I was developing the Grog Toolbar this feature was considered but dropped because of a couple of reasons.

First, since the Volley command is in two phases, hold fire and fire, attaching the volley sound to the volley command button and sounding the volley with the fire phase only was beyond my expertise.

Second, even if this was figured out, possibly with two volley buttons, one for each phase, there's still the issue of no volley sounds for AI controlled units, of which I wouldn't know where to begin. Pretty sure this would have to have been coded in with the initial release or with a patch. When patch time came around after a year only bug fixes were allowed, so I blew off any further efforts toward improvements such as this.
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
radioman
Reactions:

Post by radioman »

Understood. Thank you for the clarification!
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Went back and checked the file that includes the volley fire scripting. And, it appears that adding a volley sound file would be relatively easy. Still, this would only affect the player's units, not AI controlled units. If you're interested in modding this in and have access to a volley sound file, I'll explain how to mod it in. Or, anyone else...
radioman
Reactions:

Post by radioman »

Oh, that would very much add to the excitement! Please enlighten me with the process:)
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Faster to just send the mod template rather than explain it, so here it is...
The attachment VolleyFire.zip is no longer available
First, download, unzip and copy to the Mods folder. Then rename your volley sound file to WL_BU-Fire and copy it to the Volley Fire/Sound folder...Overwrite the same-named (WL_BU-Fire.wav) sound file in that folder. As you see by the extension (.wav) name, the replacement volley sound file must be in the wave sound format.

If it works out please post it for other folks to try out.
Attachments
VolleyFire.zip
(147.93 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Last edited by RebBugler on Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
radioman
Reactions:

Post by radioman »

Ok, I will try it today and report back for sure. Thank you so much. I hope this is something that other players have been looking for as well!;)
Last edited by radioman on Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Little Powell
Reactions:

Post by Little Powell »

There actually is a sound there in the stock game, it's just hard to notice. I spent a lot of time working on the sound--it's an overdub of several period muskets firing simultaneously. But as noted in this thread, its not triggered by button--it's triggered in the code by the actual volley action so you have to be pretty close to the firing unit to hear it.
Last edited by Little Powell on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radioman
Reactions:

Post by radioman »

I've put the file(with alternate sound but with same file name, WL_BU-Fire.wav) in the mod folder and activated it. However, I couldn't get it to work. I think the issue for me is that I can't remember ever hearing WL_BU-Fire.wav sound in game. I can hear other order 'call' sounds but not the WL_BU-Fire. Maybe it needs a specific circumstance to be played back? I don't know.. Anyways, thank you for the help guys