Any toolbar compatible with the main campaign?

A new section for modding SOW Waterloo. Ask questions, post tips here.
Roberbond
Reactions:

Any toolbar compatible with the main campaign?

Post by Roberbond »

As the topic says I want to know if there is any extended toolbar compatible with the main campaign.

I know I can follow the campaign if I use the grog toolbar with the user battles, but I like to keep record as the main campaign is designed.

With the Steam version of the game an old grog toolbar (v5.4) is installed and works with the main campaign, but with the new patch (1.03) there is a crash if I use that toolbar.
DarkRob
Reactions:

Re: Any toolbar compatible with the main campaign?

Post by DarkRob »

As the topic says I want to know if there is any extended toolbar compatible with the main campaign.

I know I can follow the campaign if I use the grog toolbar with the user battles, but I like to keep record as the main campaign is designed.

With the Steam version of the game an old grog toolbar (v5.4) is installed and works with the main campaign, but with the new patch (1.03) there is a crash if I use that toolbar.
The Grog toolbar was never designed to function through the main Waterloo battles tab, on any patch or any iteration of the toolbar. That's one of the reasons the Waterloo battles tab was eliminated and the users scenario tab just renamed as "scenarios" when using the Grog toolbar, to avoid the confusion of having players try and play through the waterloo battles tab by mistake. If you did this and never got any crashes previously it was just luck, you would have eventually.
As far as I know there is no way to make the Grog Toolbar work reliably through the waterloo battles tab, doing so will always risk a CTD.
And also as far as I know there isn't another toolbar similar to the Grog toolbar that will work through the waterloo battles tab because once we had the Grog toolbar, there was pretty much no topping it anyway, so there was little incentive to try, other than just updating the grog toolbar itself.
Last edited by DarkRob on Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RebBugler
Reactions:

Post by RebBugler »

Thanks DarkRob, you said it all.

Bottom line, deactivate the Grog Toolbar, whatever the version, for Campaign play.

Honestly, before this post I didn't know the Grog Toolbar wasn't compatible with the Sandbox Campaign. So, it appears that I need to also eliminate the Sandbox Campaign button option in the Single Player options screen when the Grog Toolbar is activated. Anyone see a reason to keep it as is?

Oops, read the author's post again and the word Campaign reflects my post above. Now I see my error in interpretation so I'm guessing Sandbox Campaign battles ARE compatible with the Grog Toolbar.

So let me just add that a new toolbar could be designed and used with Waterloo Battles. However, only a limited amount of files could be changed to accommodate such a toolbar, and, nothing could be added to the base files like new formations, new text, new functions, new buttons, etc. Plus, there might be more conflicts I'm not aware of. Not impossible, but a testing nightmare as every change would have to be tested as it's added, and then no guarantees it would be crash free as the various combinations of the changes are in play.
Last edited by RebBugler on Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bugles & Flags Gettysburg - Toolbar, Flags, Scenarios, and More...
Roberbond
Reactions:

Post by Roberbond »

Thanks for the reply.